Wash Post: O's considering tejada trade

JakeeO

There are many wonderful things you can say about Cal. But "true leader" is not one of them. IMO, the one major shortcoming of Cal is that he didn't mind losing. Miggy hates losing. If everything else was equal, I'd rather have somebody who hates losing over somebody who is comfortable with it.

Cal was an icon. He redefined what people expect of SS's and single-handedly put the Belangers of the world out of business. Cal was also a symbol who was good for the game when the game was in trouble. As SS's, neither one had great range, and Miggy hits better. If he had blue eyes and spoke Engish without an accent, he'd be doing milk commercials too.

You are wayyyyyy off base with this one. If you read Cal's book you would know he HATES losing. Said he would cheat at games when he was a kid because he absolutely despised the thought of losing.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are wayyyyyy off base with this one. If you read Cal's book you would know he HATES losing. Said he would cheat at games when he was a kid because he absolutely despised the thought of losing.

OK, then how about this: he *accepted* the O's being losers too readily, and I'm glad that Miggy doesn't.

Does Kotchmans' illness negate Gibbons' injury and thus make the 4 for 2 deal look better?

Not sure....Schmuck has hinted that Jay may need surgery..If that's the case, he is untradeable right now.

If he doesn't, then he should be back in a few weeks and ready to go.

OK, then how about this: he *accepted* the O's being losers too readily, and I'm glad that Miggy doesn't.

How did he accept it?

Because he didn't b!tch publicly to the media and sulk?

Give me a break..This is undoubtedly the worse opinion i have ever seen on here...Opinion or not, it is totally wrong and has no basis.

How did he accept it?

Give me a break..This is undoubtedly the worse opinion i have ever seen on here...Opinion or not, it is totally wrong and has no basis.

He didn't mind sulking about Davey asking him to move to 3B. I wish he'd chosen his snit to be about something more important than that... like, you know, something about the team...

How did he accept it?

I guess we need 9 Terrel Owens' playing for us.....

Rshack...I forgot you were in the locker room and knew everything Cal said to management.

It is so funny how you do stuff like this and it is ok but when someone else does it, they are off base.

Please, just stop this nonsense on Cal...The thread is about Tejada..Keep it that way.

Listening to Mike & Mike this morning, Greenburg and Buster Olney made a valid point about this statement:

Can someone tell me where Tejada's name has been linked to the Grimsley affadavit? Before reading this article, I haven't seen or heard anything definitive other than rumors and whispers. The way Arangure worded his article, he makes it sound like Tejada has definitely been linked to the affadavit.

Does Arangure know something that no one else does? And if so, why isn't that the lead point in his article? Or is he (more likely, IMO) talking out of his rear end? One has to wonder.

All that said, the tardiness and insubordination (refusing to pay fines) should not and can not be tolerated. Suspend him, trade him, or both.

He's probably putting two and two together. Tejada was playing well and pretty happy, then the Grimsley thing happens, Miggy is then not happy and playing poorly. Sounds like the B12/Raffygate from last year.

Originally Posted by Cokeman

So you don't care if your "supposed" main team leader is tardy or ignores fines imposed by his employer?

Personally, I would expect more. Like I said during the off-season, he is not the special player that I thought he was...he sure seems to lack maturity to me.

Orginally Posted by Witchy Chick

Not that I'm defending Miggy "ignoring" fines for tardiness, but remember this quote too:

Quote:

The source said it was possible team officials had not pushed Tejada to pay the fines or disciplined Tejada publicly because they did not want to risk alienating him or hurting his trade value.

Maybe the O's haven't "pushed" Tejada to pay the fines...but, this on top of Tejada's ignoring phone calls from the O's during the off-season, is just a little too much ignoring from a player who is supposed to be a team leader.

Also, he became distracted last year with Raffy, and there are suggestions that he is becoming distracted again with Grimsley...either he is too easily distracted, or there is very good reason for these constant distractions...neither one is good.

I have never been firmly in either the "trade" or "don't trade" Tejada camp, but it is becoming increasingly clear to me that it is probably time for the O's and Tejada to part ways.

Maybe the O's haven't "pushed" Tejada to pay the fines...
Why do you think any Oriole player will pay a fine now? If Tejada doesn't have to pay his fines, why should any player? If you start making exceptions for one player, discipline starts to go out the window for the entire team. This preferential treatment of Tejada has to stop now.

He didn't mind sulking about Davey asking him to move to 3B. I wish he'd chosen his snit to be about something more important than that... like, you know, something about the team...

Yeah, for real. Cal should have gotten so mad that he quit running out grounders! So mad that he lost all range to his right (or to his left)! So mad that he constantly had the look of a 4 year old whose dog just died!

Maybe Cal led by example. Maybe Cal thought that showing up and playing hard EVERY day would eventually rub off on some of his teammates. Maybe he thought that, even in lowly 1988, he should STILL show up and play hard. Can you imagine Miggy going through that 1988 season? Every time he hit a grounder, he would probably just turn and sulk back to the dugout as soon as he made contact. If he hates losing so darn much, maybe he should try setting an example for the young guys aruond. I'm sure Markakis & Co. love seenig him sulk around.

Please, just stop this nonsense on Cal...The thread is about Tejada..Keep it that way.

It's not nonsense, you just don't like it, that's all. I'm not saying you're supposed to like it.

I *like* Cal. I think he was one of the most *important* players in the game. I think he *changed* the game. I think he *helped* the game. I think he should set a record for 1st-ballot HOF votes. I think he's an excellent model for youngsters to have. I also think he didn't hate losing enough. You can disagree all you want, but I'm not wrong for having that *opinion*.

As for keeping threads on target, I'll do that when you stop turning everything into yet another trade-a-thon post, how about that? ;-)

It's not nonsense, you just don't like it, that's all. I'm not saying you're supposed to like it.

I *like* Cal. I think he was one of the most *important* players in the game. I think he *changed* the game. I think he *helped* the game. I think he should set a record for 1st-ballot HOF votes. I think he's an excellent model for youngsters to have. I also think he didn't hate losing enough. You can disagree all you want, but I'm not wrong for having that *opinion*.

As for keeping threads on target, I'll do that when you stop turning everything into yet another trade-a-thon post, how about that? ;-)

Yes you are...You just proved that an opinion can be wrong.

BTW, why do you use that face at the end of everythign you write? You know, there are ones you can use, right?

Archived