Suppose Harper to the Nats, Taillon to the Bucs, and Ranaudo hurt....then who?

This is my current worst-case scenario. Suppose Raynaudo's injury turns out to be serious. The decision becomes quite difficult. Cole has a live arm, but they say he's prone to wildness and his secondary stuff is poor. Colon hasn't hit a lick yet this year (granted it's early) and might not even stick at shortstop. There's Zach Cox and Bryce Bretnz...they might be worth looking at. At this point, I'd have to lean towards Pomeranz or McGuire- polished college guys who could make it to the bigs quick like Matusz.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point, I'd have to lean towards Pomeranz or McGuire- polished college guys who could make it to the bigs quick like Matusz.

Agreed!

Drew Pomeranz is a lefty so there is obvious real value with him.

Deck McGuire is a four pitch guy! So there is lots to like with him.

Even if Ranaudo's health is a non issue I don't know that the team would bypass either or those two.

This is my current worst-case scenario. Suppose Raynaudo's injury turns out to be serious. The decision becomes quite difficult. Cole has a live arm, but they say he's prone to wildness and his secondary stuff is poor. Colon hasn't hit a lick yet this year (granted it's early) and might not even stick at shortstop. There's Zach Cox and Bryce Bretnz...they might be worth looking at. At this point, I'd have to lean towards Pomeranz or McGuire- polished college guys who could make it to the bigs quick like Matusz.

Ranaudo... no 'y' in his name. ;)

I think if the call were made at this moment, I agree with you- McGuire or Pomeranz would garner early favorite status.

Assuming they're all healthy, who do you all like the best? McGuire, Pomeranz, Ranaudo...

Pomeranz is a lefty and that catches my attention...

In order: Ranaudo, McGuire, Pomeranz... though Ranaudo would really have to show strong to dispel doubts.

I am high on Manny Machado, the young SS out of Brito HS in Florida, as well as pitchers Taillon, Covey and Whitson. Once the prepsters get under way, a few underrated ones always seem to shoot to the forefront. I am excited about this group as a whole.

In order: Ranaudo, McGuire, Pomeranz... though Ranaudo would really have to show strong to dispel doubts.

I am high on Manny Machado, the young SS out of Brito HS in Florida, as well as pitchers Taillon, Covey and Whitson. Once the prepsters get under way, a few underrated ones always seem to shoot to the forefront. I am excited about this group as a whole.

I'm liking Machado, too. Many scouts see him sticking at SS, and he's got at least as much offensive potential as 2008 #1 pick Tim Beckham, probably more since some have already compared him to A-Rod at the same age. He's pushing top 10 draft prospect status with many publications, and he could very well end up as a top 5 guy by the end of the season - on merit, anyway. His advisor is Boras, so that could drop his draft slot down a little, but hopefully that wouldn't stop the O's from drafting him if they like him.

Don't get me wrong, right now I'd definitely take Harper/Taillon/McGuire as my top 3, but I could see Machado being considered if everything breaks right.

There is a possibility that the O's could have concerns with most other top 10 players:

• How is Ranaudo's health?
  • Are they from the group that's not crazy about Pomeranz's arm action?
  • Is that 2nd group of HS arms worth a #3 pay-day (Cole/Whitson/Covey)?
  • Can Chris Sale stay as a starter?
  • Will Colon stick at SS & does he start hitting again?

That's an awful lot of "what-ifs", and that's just to be in competition with McGuire for the 3rd pick. So I wouldn't predict Machado going #3, but I do think there is still room for his stock to rise.

I'm liking Machado, too. Many scouts see him sticking at SS, and he's got at least as much offensive potential as 2008 #1 pick Tim Beckham, probably more since some have already compared him to A-Rod at the same age. He's pushing top 10 draft prospect status with many publications, and he could very well end up as a top 5 guy by the end of the season - on merit, anyway. His advisor is Boras, so that could drop his draft slot down a little, but hopefully that wouldn't stop the O's from drafting him if they like him.

Don't get me wrong, right now I'd definitely take Harper/Taillon/McGuire as my top 3, but I could see Machado being considered if everything breaks right.

There is a possibility that the O's could have concerns with most other top 10 players:

• How is Ranaudo's health?
  • Are they from the group that's not crazy about Pomeranz's arm action?
  • Is that 2nd group of HS arms worth a #3 pay-day (Cole/Whitson/Covey)?
  • Can Chris Sale stay as a starter?
  • Will Colon stick at SS & does he start hitting again?

That's an awful lot of "what-ifs", and that's just to be in competition with McGuire for the 3rd pick. So I wouldn't predict Machado going #3, but I do think there is still room for his stock to rise.

Great post. I agree with virtually everything you posted/posed. I'd be very happy with Harper or Taillon at this point, and pretty pleased to get McGuire also. Machado and a great many other youngsters have time to shoot up the board and submit their names for #3 overall consideration.

As of today, put me down for:

1. Bryce Harper

2. Jamo Taillon

3. Deck McGuire (will finally get in-person look March 19)

4. Karsten Whitson

5. AJ Cole

Round 3 (approximating who'd be available) put me down for:

1. Michael Lorenzen

2. Sam Dyson

3. Robbie Aviles

4. Mike Foltynewicz

5. Cody Wheeler

As of today, put me down for:

1. Bryce Harper

2. Jamo Taillon

3. Deck McGuire (will finally get in-person look March 19)

4. Karsten Whitson

5. AJ Cole

Round 3 (approximating who'd be available) put me down for:

1. Michael Lorenzen

2. Sam Dyson

3. Robbie Aviles

4. Mike Foltynewicz

5. Cody Wheeler

I agree with you on the top three...

Archived