ACC Tourney thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, because I'd rather have him force a pass to an inferior player while completely covered.

Seriously? We're going to start whining about Vasquez now? :rolleyes:

Look there is no doubt MD isn't close to as good as they are without GV but any decent contribution from him tonight and they win. He took some really horrible, hail mary shots tonight and there was at least 3 times where he stood waiting for the rebound to come down to him only to have it stolen by a more aggressive GT player. Bottom line is he played one of his worst games ever in his final ACC Tournament. Sad.

The announcers got what they wanted a GT win. They should be happy and maybe stfu about them when they play and have an unbiased call of a game. Gminsky and Fatso next to him are terrible. And Puke is another team Gminski and Fatso like. (They like Gary Williams as a coach but clearly were on GTechs sack all night.)

Come on 62!

Look there is no doubt MD isn't close to as good as they are without GV but any decent contribution from him tonight and they win. He took some really horrible, hail mary shots tonight and there was at least 3 times where he stood waiting for the rebound to come down to him only to have it stolen by a more aggressive GT player. Bottom line is he played one of his worst games ever in his final ACC Tournament. Sad.

He had a bad night, but any decent offensive contribution from the rest of the team in the first half and they win. So you can't blame him for anything other than as a larger issue of the team running cold.

He had a bad night, but any decent offensive contribution from the rest of the team in the first half and they win. So you can't blame him for anything other than as a larger issue of the team running cold.

When you are the ACC player of the year and the team's leader you need to step and make plays. How many times did he try and force the issue tonight? He certainly isn't the only reason they lost and I agree the 29% shooting in the first half contributed but they cut it to 2 in the second and he took 3 3ptrs that would have either tied or put them ahead and missed all three. The top player in the ACC should have made more plays in his final ACC tournament. And you have to admit, if he plays like this in the tourney MD isn't going to get past the 2nd round. Bottom line, fair or not.

When you are the ACC player of the year and the team's leader you need to step and make plays. How many times did he try and force the issue tonight? He certainly isn't the only reason they lost and I agree the 29% shooting in the first half contributed but they cut it to 2 in the second and he took 3 3ptrs that would have either tied or put them ahead and missed all three. The top player in the ACC should have made more plays in his final ACC tournament. And you have to admit, if he plays like this in the tourney MD isn't going to get past the 2nd round. Bottom line, fair or not.

Wait, so he should step-up and make plays...but when he's ice-cold and he still tries to step-up and make plays and the shots don't fall, he should be criticized and blamed.

Can't have it both ways.

Jordan Williams stays out of foul trouble, and I think they win this game. Did it seem like he was playing a little softer after his second foul (not counting the shoulda-been-a-charge, which I thought was a BS call)? He's gonna be a beast next year, but he just didn't seem as aggressive as usual.

Jordan Williams stays out of foul trouble, and I think they win this game. Did it seem like he was playing a little softer after his second foul (not counting the shoulda-been-a-charge, which I thought was a BS call)? He's gonna be a beast next year, but he just didn't seem as aggressive as usual.

I think that was more of him being the only guy inside most of the game (along with Gregory when he was in), so he really didn't have any help on those big Tech guys. He might have fouled out earlier had he tried to be too aggressive.

Wait, so he should step-up and make plays...but when he's ice-cold and he still tries to step-up and make plays and the shots don't fall, he should be criticized and blamed.

Can't have it both ways.

Look I am not a Vasquez basher, I love the guy, but many times, especially in the beginning of the season when his shot wasn't falling, he creates a shot for his teammates. He didn't do that tonight and kept forcing shots. Making a play doesn't necessarily mean make a shot. Create some open shots for your teammates.

All I am saying is I expected more out of him and I bet you anything that he feels the same way. But it's over and on to the NCAA. I hope and believe he will player better. Hell maybe this will give him such a bad taste in his mouth that he goes nuts in the tourney. Hopefully.

I missed the GT-UNC game but reading the recap it sounds like GT played pretty poorly in the 1st half but much better in the 2nd. I'm concerned they'll carry that over tommorow night and we'll be the team that comes out cold. I'm completely paranoid when it comes to the ACC tourny. I expect to lose to every team we play every year.

Yup yup. Nailed it. Predictable ACC performance. GT did everything they could to give us the game in the 2nd half and we couldn't take it. '08-'09 Vasquez showed up again tonight. If he doesnt revert back to '10 form we'll be gone by next weekend.

Look I am not a Vasquez basher, I love the guy, but many times, especially in the beginning of the season when his shot wasn't falling, he creates a shot for his teammates. He didn't do that tonight and kept forcing shots. Making a play doesn't necessarily mean make a shot. Create some open shots for your teammates.

All I am saying is I expected more out of him and I bet you anything that he feels the same way. But it's over and on to the NCAA. I hope and believe he will player better. Hell maybe this will give him such a bad taste in his mouth that he goes nuts in the tourney. Hopefully.

Fair enough. I don't think he was as bad as you and other are saying, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Let's just agree to hope I'm right, it was just a crappy night, and he's fine for next Thursday/Friday and beyond.

Yup yup. Nailed it. Predictable ACC performance. GT did everything they could to give us the game in the 2nd half and we couldn't take it. '08-'09 Vasquez showed up again tonight. If he doesnt revert back to '10 form we'll be gone by next weekend.

"If"? What makes you think he won't?

I agree that Vasquez has to play better but GT is about the worst matchup that MD can face because of their 3 huge interior players. The majority of teams in the country are lucky to have 1. I think we will be fine and Grevis needs to be play better but so does the whole team. Again GT is a terrible matchup for us.

Fair enough. I don't think he was as bad as you and other are saying, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Let's just agree to hope I'm right, it was just a crappy night, and he's fine for next Thursday/Friday and beyond.

Amen brother. And I believe they will play better. At the very least this loss will be a huge motivating factor!!

Archived