Hayward to start for the Braves

Sports Guy

I was at a chamber of commerce event last month before spring training began and Don Sutton was there. I asked him about Hayward and I couldn't believe the gushing. Sutton believes Hayward was ready last year, and kept comparing him to Willie Mays.

I think Sutton is prone to hyperbole and that is an unfair (to Hayward) thing to say about the kid at this point, but amazed me how adamant he was. Will be interesting to watch the kid play.

Well, service time, arbitration clock and free agency be damned!

For a team like the Braves, who realistically can contend in the NL East, it probably makes sense to let Heyward make the major league team on Opening Day without regard to the long-term financial consequences. They are just in a different competitive position than we were in with Wieters et al.

I watched this kid play with Myrtle Beach a few times against Frederick last year. Let me tell you, this kid has some legit skills and he can crush the hell out of a baseball. I knew back in like April or May the first time I saw him that he could be sniffing Atlanta by the end of last year. Seeing him take the starting RF job does not surprise me in the least. He may struggle in the early part getting adjusted, but once he settles in at the plate just like Wieters finally did at the end of last year, he's going to be a uniamous choice for NL ROY.

Well, service time, arbitration clock and free agency be damned!

For a team like the Braves, who realistically can contend in the NL East, it probably makes sense to let Heyward make the major league team on Opening Day without regard to the long-term financial consequences. They are just in a different competitive position than we were in with Wieters et al.

Exactly..>They can contend this year, so start off with your best players.

I don't think Boras is his agent either, so he will get extended and it won't really matter.

Sounds like a Griffey Jr type. Curious to see him play, too.

He's legit. Seems to square-up on everything and hits it HARD. He's going to hit for average and for power, and sooner rather than later, I'd imagine.

EDIT -- Also, to original post, spelled "Heyward".

Exactly..>They can contend this year, so start off with your best players.

I don't think Boras is his agent either, so he will get extended and it won't really matter.

Not only is Boras not his agent but he is a local kid from 40 miles outside of Atlanta. He will be the franchise for the Braves and they will be interested in locking him up long term.

Archived