OT: PNC Park

crpravens30

I interned at FOX Sports Net in Pittsburgh during the summer of 2006 and got to spend a lot of time at PNC Park covering the Pirates. It is one of the best stadiums in baseball.

As was suggested, you should try to walk across the Roberto Clemente Bridge before and/or after the game. Also, if you get there early enough, I would recommend eating at Atria's at the ballpark. The Pot Roast Nachos are pretty amazing.

Honestly...I have no idea why it gets so much pub for being "a beautiful stadium". It's nice, but it doesn't even compare to Camden Yards. Right now...it's probably 3rd on my list of favorite parks I've been to...behind OPACY and Fenway. It's probably going to move down the list, though, when I visit Anaheim, San Diego, and San Francisco in June.

I don't really have any suggestions, though, since were just there one night and got there just in time for the game to start.

Honestly...I have no idea why it gets so much pub for being "a beautiful stadium". It's nice, but it doesn't even compare to Camden Yards. Right now...it's probably 3rd on my list of favorite parks I've been to...behind OPACY and Fenway. It's probably going to move down the list, though, when I visit Anaheim, San Diego, and San Francisco in June.

I don't really have any suggestions, though, since were just there one night and got there just in time for the game to start.

Being located on the water (Allegheny River), with the city skyline behind it, is a beautiful site to see.

I don't think Anaheim's stadium is going to affect your ranking too much. It's nice as well as the weather, but it's nothing special or groundbreaking, except for maybe the waterfall. When you're acclimated to the weather here you tend to not let that affect your judgement of the actual park but it's hard if you're visiting. I go there every season and it just seems to have very little character. Dodger stadium has character, Anaheim not so much.

The Giants stadium is a rip off of OPACY, only it seems a bit smaller, and has the bay and bay bridge as it's backdrop instead of buildings. Again the weather will be nice, as well as the setting and placement of the stadium, but the stadium itself is just about as copycat as you can get. You'll probably like it because it's like a west coast OPACY.

Been to the A's and it's basically not anything resembling a baseball park but I've had a good time there whenever I go. Never been to the Padres stadium but seen it from the outside. Nice area right downtown though so it's probably fairly nice.

I'd probbly rank them like this;

Giants

Dodgers

Angels

Padres

Atheltics

Yes, I've been a couple times--try and sit behind home plate so you can take advantage of the absolutely impeccable skyline. Stadium's usually 2/3rds empty so even if you buy uppers you should be able to move down. Have fun!

Nicest of the newer parks in baseball. Well at least of the parks I've been to, but I'm guessing none of the one's I haven't visited are better.

Eat at Primanti Brothers!

Going up the incline is pretty cool and you get a great view at the top, so do that if you have a chance.

Nicest of the newer parks in baseball. Well at least of the parks I've been to, but I'm guessing none of the one's I haven't visited are better.

Eat at Primanti Brothers!

Going up the incline is pretty cool and you get a great view at the top, so do that if you have a chance.

Ah, yes. Having lived in the city and spending so much time there, I often forget that many people have never experienced a Primanti Brothers sandwich. I recommended Atria's earlier, but if you've never been to Pittsburgh or you've never been to Primanti's, that's where you should go.

It's a long-time Pittsburgh favorite and basically Western Pennsylvania's answer to the Philly Cheese Steak.

The superlatives everyone heaps on PNC Park are completely justified. Terrific sightlines throughout the stadium — there really isn't a bad seat to be had, though, as has been noted, sitting behind home plate or slightly to the 3rd base side gives you your best shot of the skyline over right-center.

Absolutely agree with the advice to park downtown and take the walk across the Clemente Bridge. Part of the aesthetic experience, I guess, but also much cheaper than parking in the North Shore lots near the stadium. Avoid the overcrowded, overpriced sports bars along Federal and General Robinson — for a pre-game drink, I prefer the Market Street Ale House (if open, erratic hours); a Belgian beer bar, The Sharp Edge, is scheduled to open on the 900 block of Penn early this summer.

If you have to do Primanti's, go to the original location in the Strip District rather than the concession that calls itself Primanti's inside the park.

If you're coming on a Saturday or Sunday and arrive early enough, Lidia's (as recommended by scOtt, also in the Strip) brunch is a great deal ($20 a head, including Bloody Mary). It's also within walking distance of the stadium.

Have fun.

I was there last year. Great stadium...I am actually jealous. If Camden Yards is the stadium that started the retro-downtown stadium craze, PNC is the one that did it the best.

I recommend Primanti Bros...but try to go to a location outside of the stadium. The sandwich I had was still good, but felt like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while.

Oh and have fun paying $7.50 for IC Light.

Archived