Seems like MacPhail "gets it"

Hank Scorpio

Everyone knows about Hamilton's drug problems. As I mentioned, the Reds had some inside knowledge on him. Taking him in the Rule V wasn't a shot in the dark, it was a calculated risk. They were confident that he was finally clean, and apparently he is.

I'm not berating the O's for not getting him, just saying that there's talent out there to be had, if you work hard enough to find and evaluate it.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well to add to that, maybe this was the season the O's Brass needed to ensure a rebuilding process of some sorts.

I would rather keep Bedard and Brob if we are going to get rid of Tejada and Hernandez type players on this team for players like Milledge.

I could see Hernandez to the Mets this offseason for Milledge. We would need a catcher to fill in the gap though before Weiters comes aboard. I don't think it would be that hard to find a catcher to start for us that could do what Hernandez did for us this season.

I would rather see Ramon here because I think he will have a nice bounce back year once he heals up, but if we can get younger, lets do it.

Everyone knows about Hamilton's drug problems. As I mentioned, the Reds had some inside knowledge on him. Taking him in the Rule V wasn't a shot in the dark, it was a calculated risk. They were confident that he was finally clean, and apparently he is.

I'm not berating the O's for not getting him, just saying that there's talent out there to be had, if you work hard enough to find and evaluate it.

Sure, there is talent out there for sure. Look at Pena. If we go the direction of a rebuild of some sorts, we will have more opportunities for players like that. I just don't want to go the way of Hamilton type players, that's all.

I would rather get someone without off the field problems to deal with, but rather mechanical type issues that can be corrected by a coaching staff.

We might be saying the same thing for all I know.

Sure, there is talent out there for sure. Look at Pena. If we go the direction of a rebuild of some sorts, we will have more opportunities for players like that. I just don't want to go the way of Hamilton type players, that's all.

I would rather get someone without off the field problems to deal with, but rather mechanical type issues that can be corrected by a coaching staff.

We might be saying the same thing for all I know.

I'd rather get talent. Period.

Look at Milton Bradley - he's gotten a bad rap for years, but he puts up numbers. And he was a major sparkplug for the Pads, so it's not like he was screwing up the clubhouse. I think a lot of guys get the "headcase" label who don't really deserve it. I want talent, not choirboys.

This will not be a blow up fire sale. You can bet the farm on that!

I don't think it will either, but I wouldn't want to bet the farm on it. There's been a lot of reports that AM wants to put his stamp on this offseason. He might do just that.

Look at Milton Bradley - he's gotten a bad rap for years, but he puts up numbers. And he was a major sparkplug for the Pads, so it's not like he was screwing up the clubhouse. I think a lot of guys get the "headcase" label who don't really deserve it. I want talent, not choirboys.

Milton Bradley is just a more offensive version of Jay Payton...in both senses of "offensive"

IE...ML ready guys who have proven to be good minor leaguers?

That makes sense...I think that is what most of us have advocated.

I think we're looking at young guys already on major league rosters. Not a player without any big league experience,.

I think we're looking at young guys already on major league rosters. Not a player without any big league experience,.

We may be but realistically, you aren't always going to get these guys.

The Orioles shouldn't go into anything thinking this is the type of guy we have to get.

They need to add top major league ready talent..Whether that means guys already in the majors or guys you could be.

We don't need to add too many guys that are going to be close to arbitration already...Get a few cheap years out of them.

I would rather stay away from players like Bradley. I am suprised that you would just dismiss clubhouse issues bringing clubs down. I would point to the Orioles this year as a prime example of that. We noticed first hand how a bad clubhouse can really ruin things. I would say that the Bad Rap that MB recieved is well deserved. I mean he may cost his team a chance to go to the playoffs because he couldn't block out what an ump is saying to him. Right or wrong, he shouldn't have been that excited over the situation, enough for him to tear an ACL.

He hasn't stayed with a club longer than two years, and with all of that talent, you would think teams would keep him, wouldn't you?

We are not talking about terrible organizations either, we are talking about Cleveland, Oakland and the Dodgers. Teams that have good organizational depth and make smart baseball descisions.

I dunno, I just have a different opinion on this matter than you. Its not a big deal, I sure as heck want talent out there too, I would just rather see guys without off field or clubhouse problems. I miss the Oriole way and being proud to be an Orioles fan.

CHanging this thread around a little bit.....It does seem that MacPhail gets it based on the quote from the original post in this thread.

However, the article also talks about him filling in holes in the pen and how they don't know what direction to go in yet. How is it possible that you don't know?

There is only 2 directions to go in:

1) Do what you can to realistically compete...You have to make up 25-30 games. So, good luck with that.

2) Rebuild

That is it....There is no middle ground...At least there shouldn't be. Middle ground is what they have been doing for 10 years.

Why does it have to be so black and white? Why can't they wait and see with Erik and BRob? We still have them for 2 more years, they are both fairly young and have several more productive years left. What is so wrong with trading Miggy , DCab get a couple good players in return, cut some of the dead weight, sign some of the low cost guys you and others say every year we should sign, let the season start and go from there? If the team responds well and a couple of our other pitchers start to turn the corner, there is a chance Erik and BRob will start to change their tune. If not then we can still get a kings ransom for Erik, and you have said on many occasions it is best to trade pitching at the deadline any way. And maybe even BRob at the deadline also.

And I have a really hard time believing it is so easy to come up with a plan of action when you took over the job in the middle of the season. I would assume that they need to have a site down with PA to go over how much money they will have to spend. And as much as we don't like it it is still PA team and does and should have some say on the direction of the team. I am sure they need to wait and see who's options have/have not been picked up. The health of some of our players major/minor needs to be weighed in to their plans. I am sure they have some ideas of how they want to go about this off season, but unfortunately for us, they just are not going to come out and say. So we get told we are going to have some meetings on what direction we are going to take. Nothing earth shattering, but to be expected. In fact I would be upset if they came out and told the world their plans for this off season.

I think this is spot on.

Seeing a demonstrated ability to hit/pitch at the bigleague level is pretty important to GMs these days. Minor league stats are only worth so much.

For example I'd bet the big Teixeira trade doesn't happen if Jarrod Saltalamacchia hadn't gotten the ABs he got this year with the Braves.

MacPhail will want guys that have a track record in the bigs, even if it's a short one.

Archived