5/25: A's at O's

PaulFolk

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• This year’s team is definitively better. That won’t necessarily convert into more wins than last year. They could win 98 or 99 games with a better run differential. It’s hard to win 101 games. The upside is certainly there to win 105-110 games but with some random deviation and a shaky bullpen, who knows where we end up.  The starting rotation is certainly looking like close to a best case scenario at the moment, especially considering our injuries. 
    • Does anyone think Kremer is more than a #4 or a #5 for this team? I don’t think he’d regress beyond that. He’s an MLB level starting pitcher. But he’s a 4 or a 5. When Bradish and Means were injured, and Kremer needed to perform like a #3, this could have been an issue. But between him and Irvin rounding out the rotation, I’m not concerned right now.
    • O’Hearn is another guy who should be mentioned. I think many of us thought that he was a guy who would regress this year and be usurped by one of the many young prospects. He and Mountcastle have provided much more beef in the middle of the lineup than expected. Especially with a Santander who has yet to get going. O’Hearn seems here to stay. This team is better than last year’s team. That was something I thought heading into the season even with the Bradish injury. I think the rotation is just that much better and there’s more talent with the position players. But winning more games is another thing. I took the under on wins before the season. Looks like I’m going to be wrong on that one. I don’t know if they’ll match last year’s win total, but I have more confidence in this team come playoff time.
    • Maybe if all of those guys start hitting, we might not need a closer as much as we will be up by alot more going into the ninth.
    • Just bumping this thread for an update. As a team we are still 3rd in runs scored and 3rd in OPS at .751. Looking up at the Dodgers and Brewers, with Braves right behind us. (Last year we were #7). We are also #6 in ERA, up one spot from #7 last year (#3 in WHIP and tied for #1 in BB allowed). Sports Guy will be disappointed we are only #11 in K's. The teams ahead of us are BOS, SEA, NYY, DET, and PHI, so we are the only team in MLB in the top six in runs scored and ERA.  Unlike previous years where we have had to outperform our run differential, this year we are +45, second only to the Dodgers. At a high level, this is a very, very good team. 
    • He had his start pushed back the other day because of an illness.  Possible he was still feeling some effects of that and/or the schedule change through him off a little bit.
    • Yep.  Rotation is better if it stays healthy (massive fingers crossed).  Grayson and Povich are around, too. If/when some of Santander, Mullins, Hays, Kjerstad, Holliday, Mayo start producing the offense should look really good. Replacing Bautista is impossible but I still want another power arm for the pen, though hopefully Wells replaces Baumann at some point.
  • Popular Contributors