Armando Galarraga perfect through 8

PrivateO

I'm with you. You absolutely, positively can not change the call after the fact. Despite claims otherwise it would definitely interfere with the integrity of the game, and would open up way too many cans of worms.

Now, MLB should use this as a learning experience - and use it as the impetus to add instant replay immediately.

This was a historic event, marred. The 21st perfect game in baseball history erased because of a botched call. That interferes with the integrity of the game. Also, instant replay would change the game much more than just having Selig right this wrong.

I don't think it opens up a can of worms. The decision is at the commissioner's sole discretion. In the future, if something else comes up, the commissioner doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to. He doesn't need to start overturning balls and strikes or marrying people to barnyard animals.

You want to get things right. You don't cower in fear of the possible terrible things way down the road that probably won't happen because you corrected one call. If Selig fixes this, Galarraga is better off, Joyce is better off, the Tigers and their fans are better off, and I can't think of a single person that's going to be for the worse.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was a historic event, marred. The 21st perfect game in baseball history erased because of a botched call. That interferes with the integrity of the game. Also, instant replay would change the game much more than just having Selig right this wrong.

I don't think it opens up a can of worms. The decision is at the commissioner's sole discretion. In the future, if something else comes up, the commissioner doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to. He doesn't need to start overturning balls and strikes or marrying people to barnyard animals.

You want to get things right. You don't cower in fear of the possible terrible things way down the road that probably won't happen because you corrected one call. If Selig fixes this, Galarraga is better off, Joyce is better off, the Tigers and their fans are better off, and I can't think of a single person that's going to be for the worse.

I think this is really the main point of all of this. The precedent has already been made by overturning home run calls on replay. This won't hurt anyone and rights a wrong. It should happen.

Jerry Crasnick, ESPN:

Inevitably, the game's sad ending is going to elicit an outcry for expanded use of instant replay. It's a worthwhile debate, but consider this for a second: How gratifying would it have felt if Joyce's botched call was followed by a trip to the replay booth, a five-minute conference, the umpiring crew emerging from the tunnel and Joyce throwing up his right arm with an "out" sign.

Yes, Galarraga would have had his perfect game, on paper, but that single transcendent moment of celebration is something that can never be retrieved. In baseball or any other sport, winners don't get mulligans on euphoria.

In a strangely upside-down way, Wednesday's twist ending gives Galarraga's performance an emotional shelf life that goes beyond what Braden and Halladay achieved.

Seriously??? Let's ask Galarraga, or any Tigers fan, if a replay delay would've ruined the perfect game.

Ask his manager - who has already said he wouldn't be in favor of changing the call. Based on his classy reaction I suspect Galarraga wouldn't be in favor of it either.

What did he say? That he didn't think MLB should change the call today? Because that wasn't the question. The question is, would the use of instant replay on the potential last out of a perfect game cheapen the moment so much that it would be preferable to risk ruining the game on an incorrect call.

Maybe Leyland opined on that, but I didn't hear it.

I never said anything about instant replay. I wholeheartedly agree that instant replay is a must. However, it wasn't in effect for this game, therefore things should stay as they are. It would set a very bad precedent - one that has not been set before (obviously, otherwise it wouldn't be a precedent).

Leave it as it is - but use this as the reason for making a positive change.

Wouldn't MLB overruling the umpires in the famous Pine Tar game actually be a precedent for this? In fact, MLB overruled their umps even when the call was right by the rulebook.

You know what still rubs me the wrong way...During his "I feel so bad I blew the call feel sorry for me" tirade, he said that no one feels worse than him? Really? Get over yourself...I bet the kid who lost out on a chance at history feels pretty darn bad right now. You might feel bad, but I'd bet he feels worse. I don't know...maybe not a big deal, but that quote didn't sit well with me.

First, it's just an expression and he's genuine. It's not self pity or trying to someway make people for bad for him. By the way he has handled himself his actions back up his words. He stayed on the field to discuss it with Leyland, he went over to the clubhouse after the game and apologized to Galarraga and was emotional. He faced the music and answered questions almost immediately. He didn't have to do all of that. If his first reaction was in some written statement today about how no one felt worse than him yada yada yada I'd be more inclined to have issues with his words.

Second, Joyce is the one that seems to be taking it the hardest. He unintentionally screwed a kid out of exclusive history. While Galarraga will probably never be officially recognized as throwing a perfect will always have the peace of mind that he threw a perfect game. Millions of fans will recognize it as a perfect game, the Baseball Hall of Fame in some way will probably recognize the game. Joyce is the one that will live in infamy and will have to deal with missing the biggest call of his career. That's going to be a pretty big burden to bear.

Once again, with the opportunity standing right before him to do the right thing, Bud Selig does nothing. Won't this guy just retire already?

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said he would look at the game's umpiring system and the expanded use of instant replay, but would not reverse the blown call that cost Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers a perfect game on Wednesday night.

Once again' date=' with the opportunity standing right before him to do the right thing, Bud Selig does nothing. Won't this guy just retire already?

I'm not seeing a flat out refusal to reverse the call in Selig's statement. He said before he announced any decisions, he would consult all appropriate parties. It's not clear whether he means in general what he was referring to (instant replay, umpiring, etc.) or the call itself.

Every writer is jumping at the chance to put words into Selig's mouth.

I'm not seeing a flat out refusal to reverse the call in Selig's statement. He said before he announced any decisions, he would consult all appropriate parties. It's not clear whether he means in general what he was referring to (instant replay, umpiring, etc.) or the call itself.

Every writer is jumping at the chance to put words into Selig's mouth.

A baseball official familiar with the decision confirmed to The Associated Press that the call was not being reversed. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because that element was not included in Selig's statement.

Not that this is more reliable than a writer drawing their own conclusion, but somewhere apparently there is a source for this.

BTW, that's from the same ESPN link I posted before.

Jerry Crasnick' date=' ESPN:

Seriously??? Let's ask Galarraga, or any Tigers fan, if a replay delay would've ruined the perfect game.[/quote']

Yeah, pretty absurd comment by him. Plus, no way does it take anywhere close to 5 minutes, especially if they just had someone up in a booth doing it.

You know what, I agree... he showed class.

But to me, it's still an unacceptable offense. If a QB fumbles a ball on the goal line as they're driving in to win a Super Bowl they're tainted forever. So should Joyce. He's a great umpire overall, but he actually DID blow this call, and cost a young man a chance to be in the record books. He DID that, he missed the call. He deserves the criticism that will follow him around for it. Absolutely unforgivable.

It's a friggin game. Get real people.

Some of you sound like he just shot someone.

I gotta give Jim Joyce some respect.

If I was in his situation, there is no way in hell I would be calling balls and strikes at this game today. I would have left the city immediatly.

He seems like a very sweet and classy guy:):clap3:

I am mad at Bud:angryfire:

Archived