Pie in the Face?

Dipper9

Samuel is keeping the game ball and lineup card form the win, but he resisted another tradition when he jumped out of the way as Jones attempted to stick a towel filled with shaving cream in his face at the conference's end.

"I'm still the fastest," Samuel joked, referencing his fabled boast of 'I'm the fastest' when he was a player.

Source - The Sun

Much ado about nothing, IMO

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone notice when Nick was being interviewed by Amber after the game? He was not really buying into the ever-present "how big was this win" question. You could tell that he knows that this was just one win in a season with far too few of them.

Please dude. You don't think these guys feel awful? You don't think this is wearing on them? This was something done in private, in the clubhouse.

I guess we should institute daily floggings until morale improves.

Not getting a basehit - that's a paddlin'

Not moving the runner over - that's a paddlin'

Striking out with a man on third - that's a paddlin'

Failing to hit with RISP - that's a paddlin'

Being Garrett Atkins - that's a paddlin'

Dude, we understand. You think its no big deal. Fine.

Scottie, with all due respect, and I DO respect differing opinions, but saying you're disappointed in me, or anyone who agreed with me, because we don't feel like celebrating one win when our team is three weeks under .500, I think is a bit harsh.

For me, I'm sorry that I EXPECT my team to win. I EXPECT my team to play their best and win a close game. In my opinion, which understandably everyone doesn't agree with, I think its ridiculous to pie a guy after nearly every win, and for those of you like me who watch each and every one of these games, you know that more times than not they pie a guy after a win. Just act like its EXPECTED fellas, that's all I'm asking. I am not saying I don't want them to be loose and have fun (although those are the words put in my mouth by SJ).

Please dude. You don't think these guys feel awful? You don't think this is wearing on them? This was something done in private, in the clubhouse.

I guess we should institute daily floggings until morale improves.

Not getting a basehit - that's a paddlin'

Not moving the runner over - that's a paddlin'

Striking out with a man on third - that's a paddlin'

Failing to hit with RISP - that's a paddlin'

Being Garrett Atkins - that's a paddlin'

Uhhhh, yeah, I do? So how come they're not playing like their job is on the line? How come your boy still cannot work a count to save his life?

I'm so sick of the how big was...., how huge was..., how important was.... variety of lazy postgame interview questions. It's often followed by the player responding, "oh, yeah, most definitely, you know [followed by a rewording of the interviewers question].

Edited due to disagreement on humor

If the pie in the face is the furthest anything went, then it's not a big deal. Five minutes later it's done and over with.

The bigger outrage should remain centered on the pathetic lack of hitting.

What's up with all the lady reporters in the locker room asking, how big, how huge anyway? It seems their mind is elsewhere when walking around the locker room of guys getting out of the shower and getting dressed.:D

That joke? Not all that funny. Actually, not at all. Sorry. Good point with the first part, and then you totally killed it with that lameness.

Uhhhh, yeah, I do? So how come they're not playing like their job is on the line? How come your boy still cannot work a count to save his life?

I'm not arguing that. Jones needs to do better, a lot better in that regard. But begrudging them a little fun, in private it should be noted again, isn't going to make them play any better.

Being on edge and tense in the workplace everyday is totally the way to increase productivity.

Dude, we understand. You think its no big deal. Fine.

Scottie, with all due respect, and I DO respect differing opinions, but saying you're disappointed in me, or anyone who agreed with me, because we don't feel like celebrating one win when our team is three weeks under .500, I think is a bit harsh.

For me, I'm sorry that I EXPECT my team to win. I EXPECT my team to play their best and win a close game. In my opinion, which understandably everyone doesn't agree with, I think its ridiculous to pie a guy after nearly every win, and for those of you like me who watch each and every one of these games, you know that more times than not they pie a guy after a win. Just act like its EXPECTED fellas, that's all I'm asking. I am not saying I don't want them to be loose and have fun (although those are the words put in my mouth by SJ).

We all EXPECT the team to win. And none of us are happy about this being only one win in the middle of a lost, horrible season.

But seriously, if the opposite happened I guarantee someone would be on here talking about how this team is so lost they can't even get excited after an extra-inning walk-off against the Sox.

I'm not arguing that. Jones needs to do better, a lot better in that regard. But begrudging them a little fun, in private it should be noted again, isn't going to make them play any better.

Being on edge and tense in the workplace everyday is totally the way to increase productivity.

You're taking this argument to extremes. Some people do work better when they're tense and on edge (I'm one of those people). The managers have tried being loose and friends with the players. How has that worked out so far?

I don't think it's some huge deal, just something that irks me. It's like when a football team is getting their brains beat in, and then they score a touchdown, and do a big TD dance. Just give the ball back to the ref and act like you've been there before.

Also, it's not private when they do it in front of TV cameras and reporters every time. They're making it a public display.

Actually, I think a little levity goes a long way, on field or off. They just lost a manager most of the guys seemed to like. They are buried in the standings and pressing and playing as tight as any team I had seen since the 2009 Rockies. The key everyone talked about in Colorado over and over again when Jim Tracy took over that no fun bunch, is that he lightened things up a bit.

I don't think they should set up a dunking booth in the locker room and hire carnival clowns after a big win. Unless it helps them break .500. Ultimately, a collective sigh of relief and a wee bit of joy for a team trying anything to find a shred of positive momentum is all good to me.

Winning is fun, especially when they had their heads kicked in over the last 10 games. It doesn't make them less prepared for Tuesday, and I doubt we will see another pie in the face attempt on the manager, until they reach the post-season.

-Don

You're taking this argument to extremes. Some people do work better when they're tense and on edge (I'm one of those people). The managers have tried being loose and friends with the players. How has that worked out so far?

I don't think it's some huge deal, just something that irks me. It's like when a football team is getting their brains beat in, and then they score a touchdown, and do a big TD dance. Just give the ball back to the ref and act like you've been there before.

Also, it's not private when they do it in front of TV cameras and reporters every time. They're making it a public display.

The difference is the following: the TD dance is in public, this incident was in PRIVATE. This was a private team-centric thing. When you have had a season the Orioles have had you are looking for anything, ANYTHING, to be happy about. They weren't showering themselves with liquor on the diamond, they had a little fun in the privacy of the clubhouse.

Archived