Austin Urban - 27th round - RHP - Richland HS

http://tigers.scout.com/2/941741.html

Another pitcher hailing from a cold-weather state that's made waves with scouts is Richland (Pa.) right-hander Austin Urban.

A Penn state recruit who also doubles as a shortstop, Urban's fastball has been in the low-90s, and he also has a good slider. A curveball and changeup round out his repertoire, and like Snelten, he projects.

As a hitter, Urban hit six home runs and runs very well, and should he

Nice write-up for BA saying he just missed the top 200. Sounds like we'll have to pay to sign him, but there some projectability especially if the secondary pitches can be improved.

http://tribune-democrat.com/sports/x1358976922/Orioles-pick-Richland-graduate-in-draft

Sounds like this kid is going to be expensive to sign. However, i have a feeling this gets done. You can tell he wants to play pro ball -- but obviously he thinks he's worth above 4th or 5th round slot money.

From the link:

“It helped me that I went down to their pre-draft workout at Camden Yards,” Urban said. “I touched 95 (miles an hour) down there. It was huge.”

I think it'll take a Bundy-type signing bonus to get done, but if Jordan believes that in 3-years Urban could be a top 3 round selection, then it should definitely be worth it to give him 400-600K.

If he touched 95 MPH, has a good slider and is projectable, I would say he is worth a 3rd round pick today, but Stotle said the other day not to read too deeply into these "scouty reports" so I dunno.....

Based on articles, he topped out in the low 90's all year, but in the work outs, he showed better velocity. Had he shown the ability to touch 95 fairly consistently throughout the season, there is a good bet he woulda be drafted by the 3rd round.

Archived