Nathan Williams - 45th Round - RHP (Scripps Ranch HS, Ca)

The O's took three guys from this High School? Explain.

What's to explain? Jordan and co. obviously liked what they saw (presumably while scouting Wynston Sawyer) and took a couple late round fliers on Williams and Walby. I don't know what their respective college commitments are, or what their buyout price would be, but no one should have any problem with taking a couple high school kids in the late rounds of the draft if you believe they have some upside.

I did think this was pretty unique, though. I wonder if having 3 players drafted from the same high school gives each player more incentive to sign assuming they get a fair offer from Jordan. I'm sure all three of them are talking about starting their professional careers together, even if the chances of all signing are slim. Still, it's a cool draft experience for them.

It's not 3 players selected by ONE team from the same high school, but in 2001 Seminole HS (Fl) had 6 players drafted. Two of which were 1B Casey Kotchman and former Orioles prospect and supplemental 1st Rd pick SS Bryan Bass. That's pretty amazing. There is something like 25,000 HS in the US and you get 6 kids drafted from ONE HS in ONE year. Just to compare, there were only 2 HSers in the ENTIRE STATE of Maryland picked in this year's draft. :eektf:

Archived