A's Acquire Conor Jackson... Where were we?

Greg Pappas

If he traded for him people would've complained that he is another project and isn't any good and would've made up more reasons to bash MacPhail.

Then let them complain. That's not a valid reason. It's a no brainer type move, that would have cost a bullpen arm. Is he better then Atkins? Then trade for him. Low cost, high reward. Isn't that the GM's job?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then let them complain. That's not a valid reason. It's a no brainer type move, that would have cost a bullpen arm. Is he better then Atkins? Then trade for him. Low cost, high reward. Isn't that the GM's job?

I don't see Conor Jackson as a high reward player, really. But we should have added him. It really depends on how good the prospect is. Would you have done Brett Jacobsen for Jackson with some salary paid?

Why pick up a dude who's not doing squat this year?? Don't we have a guy similar in AAA? Why not just bring him up and see what he has instead of picking up a guy who is marginal at best?

As soon as Snyder gets on anything close to a hot streak you bring him up and pencil him in at 1B and see what you have. Seriously folks, it can't get any worse than what is going on now.:scratchchinhmm:

Why pick up a dude who's not doing squat this year?? Don't we have a guy similar in AAA? Why not just bring him up and see what he has instead of picking up a guy who is marginal at best?

As soon as Snyder gets on anything close to a hot streak you bring him up and pencil him in at 1B and see what you have. Seriously folks, it can't get any worse than what is going on now.:scratchchinhmm:

I agree. Just do something. Anything that will improve. Doesn't have to be a huge improvement. Just any improvement will do.

I don't see Conor Jackson as a high reward player, really. But we should have added him. It really depends on how good the prospect is. Would you have done Brett Jacobsen for Jackson with some salary paid?

Honestly, I know nothing about Jacobson, so I can't answer that. I tried to google him, but found little info.

I agree. Just do something. Anything that will improve. Doesn't have to be a huge improvement. Just any improvement will do.

So we trade for him, dump Garrett Atkins and nothing changes. You wouldn't start asking why we traded something remotely of value for a guy with next to no chance of helping the team?

Honestly, I know nothing about Jacobson, so I can't answer that. I tried to google him, but found little info.

Former 4th round pick, we got him for Huff from Detroit. John Sickels ranked him as a C prospect, and left him off our top 20 list.

I dunno. Jackson has been SO BAD for two seasons, but he has a much better chance of rebounding than, say, Atkins. But Atkins cost us literally nothing (the only reason why that move is technically neutral in my book).

Wigginton is our first basemen now, why do we need Jackson? We sure as heck better do better next year than Conor Jackson. Atkins isn't playing.

Wigginton is hitting .209/.314/.209 in the month of June (ISO-P of 0!!!) and is quickly regressing to the ~.780 OPS guy he's been in his career. He had an outstanding April and a very good May. That doesn't mean he's a good choice at 1B in the second half.

The Orioles need to be shopping Wigginton to anyone who thinks he's a solid bat before he comes crashing all the way down.

Former 4th round pick, we got him for Huff from Detroit. John Sickels ranked him as a C prospect, and left him off our top 20 list.

I dunno. Jackson has been SO BAD for two seasons, but he has a much better chance of rebounding than, say, Atkins. But Atkins cost us literally nothing (the only reason why that move is technically neutral in my book).

I don't know about "much" better, but it's better.

But, the rationale for getting him is the same rationale for getting Atkins in the first place: he could be a better option than what we would otherwise have there, and may be able to turn things around. I don't think replacing Atkins with essentially the same guy is some big deal, though I would have done the deal had it been possible.

I don't know about "much" better, but it's better.

But, the rationale for getting him is the same rationale for getting Atkins in the first place: he could be a better option than what we would otherwise have there, and may be able to turn things around. I don't think replacing Atkins with essentially the same guy is some big deal, though I would have done the deal had it been possible.

I don't agree. Jackson has been derailed by injuries. Atkins was done.

So we trade for him, dump Garrett Atkins and nothing changes. You wouldn't start asking why we traded something remotely of value for a guy with next to no chance of helping the team?

It would depend on whom was traded.

At this point, no I wouldn't get upset. My issue with Orioles is not failed attempts, it's a lack of any attempts. Atkins, didn't work, so move on. When you are on a pace for back to back 98 loss seasons, you can't just sit back, and wait it out. Make some moves. Pick up Fox. Trade for Jackson. Make as many small moves as possible. As you have pointed out in many threads, we aren't going to improve this year. So why not make moves. What's the worse that could happen? 120 losses instead of 110?

It would depend on whom was traded.

At this point, no I wouldn't get upset. My issue with Orioles is not failed attempts, it's a lack of any attempts. Atkins, didn't work, so move on. When you are on a pace for back to back 98 loss seasons, you can't just sit back, and wait it out. Make some moves. Pick up Fox. Trade for Jackson. Make as many small moves as possible. As you have pointed out in many threads, we aren't going to improve this year. So why not make moves. What's the worse that could happen? 120 losses instead of 110?

Because we should be looking at moves that improve the team, not just for the sake of making move.

Archived