Rumor: O's in formal negotiations with Buck Showalter

ScottieBaseball

I believe he was hired a year before the D-backs played their first game and spent the time scouting and watching the minor league system. I would fine with him doing that again. He could not only get familiar with the players but also give him a chance to let the lower levels know "this is how we are going to do it in Baltimore from now on and if you want to get there, you need to be doing it down here." I think Buck is a good choice and the selection of his staff will be very interesting. (or even a sticking point in the negotiations)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know he probably can't force the the Orioles to get premium talent, but he should have the ability to walk away for better opportunities if the Orioles aren't going to be serious about providing him the talent to win games.

That would be a bargained for term of the contract and is essentially what Girardi wanted from the O's. I'd have no problem with your post if you phrased it in those terms. It just frustating as hell to participate in this forum when you come along and turn every thread into some anti-AM fiasco. It'd be nice to talk about the O's being in formal negotiations for Showalter in this thread. I'm sorry I strayed from the topic at hand because I know my little rant will have no impact in any event.

If Showalter is the guy do you want him to take over now, or observe from the sidelines until the season is over?

I'd much rather have him take over now. You get more insight into your players and (to the extent he doesn't replace them right away) the coaches from being in the dugout and the clubhouse than you do from the GM's box. I'd rather have Showalter have those insights when he gives input to MacPhail about who is a keeper and who isn't.

I'd much rather have him take over now. You get more insight into your players and (to the extent he doesn't replace them right away) the coaches from being in the dugout and the clubhouse than you do from the GM's box. I'd rather have Showalter have those insights when he gives input to MacPhail about who is a keeper and who isn't.

Agreed. I see no downside to having Showalter take over the club for the second half of the season.

I believe he was hired a year before the D-backs played their first game and spent the time scouting and watching the minor league system. I would fine with him doing that again. He could not only get familiar with the players but also give him a chance to let the lower levels know "this is how we are going to do it in Baltimore from now on and if you want to get there, you need to be doing it down here." I think Buck is a good choice and the selection of his staff will be very interesting. (or even a sticking point in the negotiations)

I have repeatedly said I like the idea of the new manager evaluating the organization, offering input to the front office on various areas and also stressing the type of player that the manger want developed, and getting a jump on planning for the upcoming offseason. I'm not suggesting, nor do I think, that what is being discussed is akin to the new manager doing the job of the front office as some have suggested. I see it differently. My preference with having the manager wait until next season before taking the dugout is because I see this coming offseason being of crucial importance and I'd prefer that he get a jump start on evaluating things and getting names together for the coaching staff.

I agree with an earlier poster that Showalter will not come cheap and will likely want a committment in the 4-5 year range. I also doubt that he will accept anything less than complete autonomy on the selection of his coaching staff.

Agreed. I see no downside to having Showalter take over the club for the second half of the season.

Exactly. The only thing holding that up might be Showalter himself. He might want to start fresh in 2011. If he doesn't care about the horrible start he might get off to, I'd be all for him starting immediately!

It sounds more and more like they're waiting for the All Star Break to announce this.

Here's a hypothetical: Let's say some of Showalter's picks for coaches are still with another team, so he has to wait until the offseason to bring them in. Do you want him to keep the coaching staff (if so, who?), or bring in "interim coaches" (i.e. hitting coach)?

I just hope no one convinces Showalter that the players would be more comfortable playing in cotton uniforms. The last thing we need to see in this embarrassing season is Wigginton splitting his pants because they shrunk.

But they are so breathable.

I just hope no one convinces Showalter that the players would be more comfortable playing in cotton uniforms. The last thing we need to see in this embarrassing season is Wigginton splitting his pants because they shrunk.

I never dreamed anything could be so soft and fluffy.

I don't know how this isn't trolling and in violation of the board rules. Your point is not a legitimate one; No manager is going to get "control over day to day personnel decisions" from any GM. It's just not happening. Here we have just another example of your rail roading yet another thread with your anti-AM crap.

I was about to post the same thing. At the very least it's highjacking the thread, which is a violation now.

Archived