Rumor: O's in formal negotiations with Buck Showalter

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I talked to DeMarlo Hale who has coached with Buck on the phone the other night. When I asked him what does he think about Showalter coming to B-more.. His exact words were.. He's exactly what that team needs. Without going into a ton of detail he is well aware of all the shortcomings of the O's organization both at the big league/minor league levels. There you have it.

Thanks for sharing...So it sounds as if Buck thinks he can be part of the solution for some of these "shortcomings."

But what if Buck likes Crow and wants to keep him? What's that say about the staff that Buck would assemble? What does that say about his decision making? What does that say about his evaluating skills? Does it mean that Buck is a soft guy and wants to keep Crow because he's popular with the players? And if he's kowtowing to the players, is he really the man for the job? How can we be so sure that Buck could be a good manager for us? Will be get ejected from games often enough to prove to orioleshangout.com that he's fiery? Will he make 5 bullpen changes a game? Will he make this team play heads up baseball? Will he improve the baserunning? Will he bench players and throw them under the bus and call them out in the press when orioleshangout.com deems fit?

I mean, there's a lot of heavy stuff to consider here.

How can we be so sure Buck is the man????????

Damn Moose, this season has really screwed you up. :)

I love the Buck hiring, assuming it happens, and also believe his final staff will not be completed until the offseason. Buck knows baseball and will also have the respect of the players. How refreshing will it be to have a well respected guy running the team that is also a disciplinarian and respected onfield stategist? As someone wrote, this is the best manager the O's will have had since Davey.

Oh and by the way, if Buck wants Crow then so do I! The man knows what he is doing.

I talked to DeMarlo Hale who has coached with Buck on the phone the other night. When I asked him what does he think about Showalter coming to B-more.. His exact words were.. He's exactly what that team needs. Without going into a ton of detail he is well aware of all the shortcomings of the O's organization both at the big league/minor league levels. There you have it.

Interesting....thanks for sharing.

Should be the punishment for when they lose.

For every loss, Buck removes one piece of clothing in the locker room postgame.

That would make the postgame interviews on a 10 game losing streak interesting to say the least... :eek: :laughlol:

Thanks for sharing...So it sounds as if Buck thinks he can be part of the solution for some of these "shortcomings."

Buck is a task master, no-nonsense kind of guy. He knows what he wants and will get what he wants to make it work.

If he is to come aboard you won't have other managers or scouts whispering that if a player hustled or put in their work it would stick out like a sore thumb.

You are correct Haste. No manager in the history of baseball has every scouted it's entire minor league system. That's what your GM and MiL Field Coordinator/Player Personnel perform.

When Coordinators show up in all these minor league towns they're writing reports of each individual. They're usually there a week... and that's usually a week of misery for the players.

How do you know that "no manager in the history of baseball has ever scouted it's entire minor league system"? We are not talking about just hiring a new manager because we have had a couple of losing seasons. And as far as Field Coordinators (roving instructors) go, yes they do write many reports on individual players but there not just there for a week. They spend time throughout the entire MiL system during the season and that time can vary. They may be there 2 days one trip and 4 the next with any given team. Additionally, there might be only 1 at a couple of games in row and then as many as 3 for the next few games. The players get to see at least 1 of these guys at least 80% of their games. If you are talking about Tripp Norton or John Stockstill, they are never at one place for a week.

You've helped make my point about the new manager meeting with this area of team personnel, they know the players, but I still feel he needs to see the players in the system that he has been given information on. I've seen players get good reports from coaches and instructors near the end of ST just to have our former MiL Director release them before camp breaks. Let him get a first hand view of the entire organization before he takes over the ship. Tell me this - What do we have to lose? Our recent managerial hirings and placement into the system sure haven't worked.

How do you know that "no manager in the history of baseball has ever scouted it's entire minor league system"? We are not talking about just hiring a manager here because we have had a couple of losing seasons. And has far as Field Coordinators (roving instructors) go, yes they do write many reports on individual players but there not just there for a week. They spend time throughout the entire MiL system during the season and that time can vary. They may be there 2 days one trip and 4 the next with any given team. Additionally, there might be only 1 at a couple of games in row and then as many as 3 for the next few games. The players get to see at least 1 of these guys at least 80% of their games. If you are talking about Tripp Norton or John Stockstill, they are never at one place for a week.

You've helped make my point about the new manager meeting with this area of team personnel, they know the players, but I still feel he needs to see the players in the system that he has been given information on. I've seen players get good reports from coaches and instructors near the end of ST just to have our former MiL Director release them before camp breaks. Let him get a first hand view of the entire organization before he takes over the ship. Tell me this - What do we have to lose? Our recent managerial hirings and placement into the system sure haven't worked.

What do we have to lose? I'd rather see Showalter getting to know the players on the major league level that he will definitely be managing next year, then looking at some career minor league in Bowie.

Plus if he has a look at the players in the majors this year, he can offer more insight into what this team needs during winter meetings, etc.

So what do you have to lose? The idea of Showalter starting this offseason knowing as much about the Orioles major league team as he does now.

What do we have to lose? I'd rather see Showalter getting to know the players on the major league level that he will definitely be managing next year, then looking at some career minor league in Bowie.

Plus if he has a look at the players in the majors this year, he can offer more insight into what this team needs during winter meetings, etc.

So what do you have to lose? The idea of Showalter starting this offseason knowing as much about the Orioles major league team as he does now.

The point of letting Showalter see the minor league teams is for a long-term purpose. The hope is that he can make MacPhail institute philosophies that will help the development side of the minors. There's no denying that the organization is a mess. Buck Showalter can do more than just be the manager for the big-league team. I'd hope that he would have some say in how the pitchers and hitters are used and taught before they reach him in Baltimore.

The point of letting Showalter see the minor league teams is for a long-term purpose. The hope is that he can make MacPhail institute philosophies that will help the development side of the minors. There's no denying that the organization is a mess. Buck Showalter can do more than just be the manager for the big-league team. I'd hope that he would have some say in how the pitchers and hitters are used and taught before they reach him in Baltimore.

Where have you ever seen this done by a manager before? If Buck is hired he is being hired to be the Manager, not the GM. AM may be calculated and deliberate but to be in this business you also have to have a pretty strong ego. He is not about to just push that aside because a stronger manager is needed.

I guarantee you Buck asked the "tough" questions about getting the players needed to compete and if he is hired then he feels AM and PA will get those players. But there is no way he will dictate anything to AM. It just doesn't happen in today's game.

Archived