Xavier Avery is #5

Tony-OH

That is ridiculous to discount what he did for the majority of the season because of what he is doing for a month worth of games at the end of the season.

OK. Let's look at what he did this season. He hit .280 at Frederick, not counting his four game swan dive in the playoffs and he hit .234 at Bowie. Combined he hit .271 and struck out 4 times more often than he walked. If the Birds thought his performance in the AFL would not be an accurate indicator of where he's at professionally, they would not have sent him there. These are not the numbers of a top five prospect on any team we have to try to pass in the standings.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK. Let's look at what he did this season. He hit .280 at Frederick, not counting his four game swan dive in the playoffs and he hit .234 at Bowie. Combined he hit .271 and struck out 4 times more often than he walked. If the Birds thought his performance in the AFL would not be an accurate indicator of where he's at professionally, they would not have sent him there. These are not the numbers of a top five prospect on any team we have to try to pass in the standings.

I can agree with this. But, you said he shouldn't be a top 10 prospect.

The thing that being missed is that he was 20 years old, one of the youngest in the Carolina League, and definitely youngest at Bowie. He is being pushed quite aggressively.

I doubt that Avery is in over his head but it's possible. I think the reasons Avery is struggling in the AFL is twofold. First, hie's shown in his 2 1/2 years in the minors that he's a very streaky hitter, who can hit .500 for one week and then go 1-20. He had stetches like that at Delmarva where he hit .350 in May and then stunk up the joint at other times. He was a little more consistent at Frederick last year but still prone to ups and downs. Secondly, I think Avery is working on things, same as Matt Angle was last year (Angle hit .234 and yet was on fire to begin last season at Bowie). Avery seems to be trying to work deeper counts (8 walks in 54 AB's and 15 games) and perhaps working on his bunting. These aren't excuses. He's not hitting well but I don't think it's necesarily because of the level of competition.

I quit keeping track after a while, but Avery did take the first pitch in 15 of his first 17 PAs in Arizona, many for strikes. I won't be at all surprised if they're trying to teach him patience and learning to hit behind in the count.

Archived