Per Jeff Z: O's in serious talks for JJ Hardy!

Nick The Stick

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"O's in serious talks with Twins on Hardy

A day after trade talks with the Tampa Bay Rays about Jason Bartlett fell apart, the Orioles have made progress in acquiring Minnesota Twins' shortstop J.J. Hardy.

According to two sources, the Orioles would acquire Hardy for two minor league pitchers. One name that has been mentioned is Brett Jacobson, who went 8-1 with a 2.79 ERA in 34 appearances for Single-A Frederick last season.

The deal is certainly not a formality but there is some confidence that it will get done."

As long as the other minor leaguer is not named Zach Britton, LJ Hoes or Mychal Givens (Machado and Klein can't be traded), they can have their pick to go along with Jacobson. I'd be very surprised if we get Hardy for Jacobson and another prospect though unless the Orioles are willing to part with someone like Givens or Hoes.

Everyone seems excited about the possibility of Hardy. Forgive me for not knowing this but what was the cause of the drop-off in his numbers last year? Was he injured or in Minn a pitcher's park? Or was it just an off year from the power perspective?

I believe the Twins have until Dec. 26 to sign Nishioka, so this could drag on for a while. So long as we end up with Hardy or Bartlett, I don't really care if it happens this week, but I would like to feel reasonably confident that this is going to get done.

Everyone seems excited about the possibility of Hardy. Forgive me for not knowing this but what was the cause of the drop-off in his numbers last year? Was he injured or in Minn a pitcher's park? Or was it just an off year from the power perspective?

He hurt his wrist early in the year and never really recovered.

He was injured and hitting in a terrible park. He hit 5 of his 6 homers away from Minny (in less than 200PAs), with a line of .282/.326/.442. I think a solid estimate of what he can do in camden yards at age 28 is 15-20 homers with a line like .270/.330/.440? He also clearly has some power upside, as he hit 24 and 26 homers in back to back seasons at age 24-25.

Archived