Why can't MD FB be dominant?

RandyM

Maryland is almost certain to not significantly improve over the coming years - if they improve at all. The passion for college football is nowhere near what it is in other parts of the country - where it's almost a religion. There's just zero reason to think that's going to change.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Passion for football in general is not on par with other areas of the country. I coach football in the state of Florida and IMO the grass roots are the problem for Maryland football. It is common for a high school game to have 8000+ fans. We had 5500 of our fans travel 250 miles for a state playoff games this year. It means everything for kids in our community to strap on that gear on Friday night. This is the case even though we are not one of the old traditional powers in the state. We play schools that have Jumbo-trons and turf fields. I still follow high school football in Maryland and with very few exceptions it simply does not stack up with other areas of the country. I think the area would be a better place if Friday night lights meant more in Maryland.

One thing I do not understand is why the players here are so much better. The teams here are much bigger across the board and much faster. Linemen under 250 just don't play here. We had 26 players on the varsity run 4.6 or better and 9 run better than 4.5. Teams in Maryland just don't have that. So in my opinion Maryland will have get plugged into a better talent pool or be able to get ALL of the blue chippers in the Metro area to really become an elite program.

One thing I do not understand is why the players here are so much better. The teams here are much bigger across the board and much faster. Linemen under 250 just don't play here.

My uninformed conclusion is that in the warm weather states the kids can stay outside year round and are constantly playing, not just football but running around and just being kids. In Maryland, and other northern states, you're stuck inside for 4-5 months of the year because of the cold. Yes you can play basketball or play outside in the cold but gym time is limited and most kids don't want to stay outside most of the day when it's 40 degrees out.

Archived