Sherzer or Lester idea

turtlebowl

Before I propose this thought I obviously think its less than 1 percent chance it happens. I will say though still the one thing the O's would love to address is a #1 starter. Sherzer and Lester fit the bill but the O's are always leary of paying big money for pitchers. If you wanted to add one of these 2 guys here is a way that would work and not increase payroll significantly.

Trade Jimenez for a somewhat useful inexpensive player and eat 4 million of his 12 million a year contract, that saves 8 million. Trade Norris again for a young cost controlled player, now you have saved 16 million a year total. Don't resign Davis and you save 10 million more, now you have saved 26 million.

Lester apparently has an offer from the Sox, 6 years $110-$120 million. So in theory you could have added an Ace and still have payroll flexibility by these moves. Ideally with the Norris trade you could find a young first baseman or a leftfielder.

I personally think our offense would be fine with younger cheap OBP types at first and left and now your rotation looks like

Sherzer/Lester

Tillman

Gausman

Chen

Gonzalez/Bundy(later)

Plus you have a couple of young guys at triple A that could step in in case of injury.

Outlandish yes, but that is a rotation that could win it all.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like your creative thinking. I have always said Orioles lack a true ace since Mussina and until they get one there will be no World Championship. Not sure I would dump Davis but I like the other moves. Let's get an ace:thumbsup1:

I kind of agree. I like Tillman but he is not an elite #1. If things go well you could have a great starting rotation in a couple of years and for the most part it should be cheap. It would be nice to have the 1 stud to lead the way.

Just my opinion, but the only "ace" worth trying to acquire is Lester. I like Scherzer, but he seems like a very "high effort" kind of guy. Shields just doesn't impress me that much. Lester strikes me as the type of guy that relishes being "the man". Would love to have that ability and makeup at the top of our rotation.

Fine for the next two years, maybe, but what about after that? These TOR types go south fast. In 4-5 years Gausman, Tiollman, and Bundy, could be putting up better numbers for a lot less than 20 M AAV.

In 4-5 years, will Tillman still be an Oriole?

Fine for the next two years, maybe, but what about after that? These TOR types go south fast. In 4-5 years Gausman, Tiollman, and Bundy, could be putting up better numbers for a lot less than 20 M AAV.

I would hope that several of these young guys will be putting up good numbers in the next few years. Nothing wrong with having 2 or 3 #1 types in a rotation. Still think though with every great staff you have that 1 guy that is the undisputed #1. Regardless of the names below him in any rotation he is the one that is your leader. To me anyways having that 1 pitcher always appears to elevate everyone else's performance. One of our young guys may be there 1 day but that status is earned over a long period of time. So signing a Lester type now allows for all of the others to work towards earning that ace reputation.

I would hope that several of these young guys will be putting up good numbers in the next few years. Nothing wrong with having 2 or 3 #1 types in a rotation. Still think though with every great staff you have that 1 guy that is the undisputed #1. Regardless of the names below him in any rotation he is the one that is your leader. To me anyways having that 1 pitcher always appears to elevate everyone else's performance. One of our young guys may be there 1 day but that status is earned over a long period of time. So signing a Lester type now allows for all of the others to work towards earning that ace reputation.
The difference isn't worth all the money you could end up eating on the back end of his contract. See Verlander, CC, Zitto, Lincecum. to name a few.

So how did that "ace" idea work out for the Tigers and A's

No thank you, I like the DD approach to deep depth in the pitching staff.

Right now we have 6 pretty good starting pitchers, and heck DD may add more.

I think Gausman will be better than Shields next year, and who knows when Lester or Scherzer will break down?

Not going to gut the depth of my roster to find out.

So how did that "ace" idea work out for the Tigers and A's

No thank you, I like the DD approach to deep depth in the pitching staff.

Right now we have 6 pretty good starting pitchers, and heck DD may add more.

I think Gausman will be better than Shields next year, and who knows when Lester or Scherzer will break down?

Not going to gut the depth of my roster to find out.

When you have a bad staff I agree, waste of money. When you have a talented young staff I want that leader. Just different opinions.

Archived