Controversial new Mariners clubhouse policy

Redskins Rick

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/07/25/white-sox-players-reportedly-did-not-pay-clubhouse-dues-at-safeco-field-to-protest/

Mariners redirecting clubhouse fees to the team.

Pretty shady crap, if you ask me.

Ken Rosenthal reports that the White Sox players also collectively protested over another issue. The club was in Seattle for a three-game series at Safeco Field from July 18-20 last week. The Mariners have a new clubhouse policy that, as Rosenthal describes, redirects 60 percent of the dues into an account managed by the team. White Sox players did not agree with the policy because ?Mariners management unilaterally entered a financial relationship that historically has existed between only players and ?clubbies,'? Rosenthal explains.

Clubhouse attendants handle a lot of the players? needs, typically doing a litany of chores throughout the day. They don?t get paid handsomely for their labor, so players often tip the clubhouse attendants for their hard work. The White Sox were protesting that the money was being redirected from the hardworking clubbies to the front office.

David Justice: And how come soda is a dollar in the club house? Cause I’ve never seen it like that.

Peter Brand: Billy likes to keep the money on the field.

David Justice: Soda money? Really? Where on the field is the dollar I’m paying for soda?

Peter Brand: It’s hard to see exactly, but…

David Justice: Yeah.

Peter Brand: …it’s there.

David Justice: It is hard to see. I’m done.

I never realized that "clubhouse" was such a literal term. I don't know anything beyond what is in that story, but the traditional method of dues and tipping doesn't inherently seem all that great either. Players really have to pay dues for food in the clubhouse? It sounds like the Delta Sky Club.

I never realized that "clubhouse" was such a literal term. I don't know anything beyond what is in that story, but the traditional method of dues and tipping doesn't inherently seem all that great either. Players really have to pay dues for food in the clubhouse? It sounds like the Delta Sky Club.

I've heard that in the minors, where players get maybe $20 a day in meal money, they're more-or-less required to give $12-15 to the clubhouse guy for the cold cuts and peanut butter they set out.

I've heard that in the minors, where players get maybe $20 a day in meal money, they're more-or-less required to give $12-15 to the clubhouse guy for the cold cuts and peanut butter they set out.

As well as run errands. Roy Firestone talks about running cigs for the guys and other stuff.

Archived