2018 7th Round (205) J.J. Montgomery - RHP - Central Florida (FL)

6-0 200lb

DOB: 6/1/1997

Luke's Take: Drop and drive righty with a filled out frame. Plenty of effort in the delivery, quick arm, live FB t97 that jumps on hitters. Offspeed pitches needs some refinement. Control over command at this point. Split time between starting and relief at UCF. Looks like a relief arm with some promise to me, apparently the Orioles are going to try him as a starter. Hopefully that will help him develop his secondaries. Nice arm to add in the 7th.

JJ Montgomery is just waiting for the call.

The UCF pitcher has gathered with his entire immediate family in his hometown of Indianapolis in anticipation of this week’s MLB Draft, which began Monday night. Montgomery is expected to be selected before the end of Round 5. It would be the earliest a Knight has been selected since 2014.

About 180 miles north in Chicago, Eric Orze, a pitcher at the University of New Orleans, is also eagerly awaiting Montgomery’s selection. Orze and Montgomery have spent the last year physically apart, but their bond remains tight. And through the past few weeks, Orze has continuously been on Montgomery’s mind, cap, cleats and heart.

“Every time I step on the mound, I think of him,” Montgomery said of Orze, who is battling cancer. “He can’t do this; I’m going to do it for him.”

Pretty nice story about Montgomery: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-baseball-jj-montgomery-draft-0605-story.html

Archived