Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, blid said:

I felt the same way about Markakis, but then Atlanta backed a truck full of money into his driveway.  Hopefully no team makes Jones a similarly extreme offer.

That's obviously a possibility, especially for an up-and-coming team with room in an OF corner for a veteran, but right now Adam's timing, in terms of the market for older FAs and the likely competition for FA dollars, does not look so good. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to dig up this thread from the wayback machine, because I remember the heated conversation: Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CFs?

At that time, 25%  said yes they'd trade him straight up for Colby Rasmus. 20% for Matt Kemp, 12% for BJ/Melvin Upton. 

Oh Franklin Gutierrez, Alex Rios,  and Austin Jackson. True giants of the decade. 

Despite his warts, we are truly lucky to have had Jones as the cornerstone of this franchise for the last decade. I'd like to see him move to the corner outfield and retire an Oriole. He's my favorite player of this generation and it would hurt to see him in another uniform. 

19 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Had to dig up this thread from the wayback machine, because I remember the heated conversation: Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CFs?

At that time, 25%  said yes they'd trade him straight up for Colby Rasmus. 20% for Matt Kemp, 12% for BJ/Melvin Upton. 

Oh Franklin Gutierrez, Alex Rios,  and Austin Jackson. True giants of the decade. 

Despite his warts, we are truly lucky to have had Jones as the cornerstone of this franchise for the last decade. I'd like to see him move to the corner outfield and retire an Oriole. He's my favorite player of this generation and it would hurt to see him in another uniform. 

I’m surprised you remembered that thread.    I didn’t, and I’m the one who started it!    I’m actually surprised at how low the percentages were, considering that Jones hadn’t really broken out offensively back when that poll was taken (before the 2011 season) and didn’t have the “leadership” cred that he does today.    It certainly points up that we’ve done very well with Jones.

27 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Wow, pretty interesting poll. The rWAR totals for that list of players since that was posted:

McCutchen - 33.1

Jones - 24.2

Granderson - 21.6

Jackson - 18.8

Rasmus - 14.5

Span - 14.5

Kemp - 12.0

M Upton - 6.8

Rios - 4.3

Gutierrez - 3.6

Each of these guys got at least a handful of votes from the board.

And looking back, you've got a guy with four top-5 MVP finishes at the top...three guys at the bottom who are currently out of baseball...Kemp looked like the biggest star early, with an 8 WAR season the season after this poll in 2011, but he declined so quickly that he's basically been replacement level since 2014...and in the middle there's a bunch of guys who have been consistently solid players, often on contenders, with Jones the best of that bunch. 

You can guess, but you never really know where a career is headed.

Love Jones and glad he's having a great start, but I can't envision keeping him next year. We have a bunch options coming up for corner OF spots and his time in CF is numbered. If we didn't have Davis / Trumbo eating up $ -- I'd be interested -- but as it stands we really need to get younger. 

9 minutes ago, TheWall said:

Love Jones and glad he's having a great start, but I can't envision keeping him next year. We have a bunch options coming up for corner OF spots and his time in CF is numbered. If we didn't have Davis / Trumbo eating up $ -- I'd be interested -- but as it stands we really need to get younger. 

Certainly don't disagree with your overall point, but a lot will depend on how Mullins, Hays and Stewart continue to develop.  Ideally I'd love to see Mullins ready to take over in CF, Hays in RF, Jones sliding over to LF.  Jones can then slide to CF on days if you want to platoon Mullins, with Stewart getting playing them in LF.  Mancini moves to 1B, Davis a very expensive DH.  Trumbo is only here for 1 more year, can't make long term decisions based on his contract.

I don't really want to have an all-rookie OF.  Jones brings too much leadership not to take advantage of that, he could be an incredible mentor to these younger guys if he chooses.  And on top of that, he can still play even if he's lost a step (or 2 or 3) in CF.

But all of this is really putting the cart way before the horse.  Let's see how these younger players do this year.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Certainly don't disagree with your overall point, but a lot will depend on how Mullins, Hays and Stewart continue to develop.  Ideally I'd love to see Mullins ready to take over in CF, Hays in RF, Jones sliding over to LF.  Jones can then slide to CF on days if you want to platoon Mullins, with Stewart getting playing them in LF.  Mancini moves to 1B, Davis a very expensive DH.  Trumbo is only here for 1 more year, can't make long term decisions based on his contract.

But all of this is really putting the cart way before the horse.  Let's see how these younger players do this year.

God, I would love to offload the Davis / Trumbo deals. 

The other issue is what sort of deal Jones would want. I can't imagine him settling for less than 3 years. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

His new stance is good. Hands are lower and launch angle will be higher. He'll get to balls a little quicker and hopefully it takes some strain off his shoulder when he swings, which has been a problem the last 3 years or so. 

I think he's primed for one of his best years if he stays healthy.

You could say that about every year the last 3, 4, 5 years. Starts out good and then slowly gets beat down running into walls and HBP and what not. Let's just hope for better luck and health this year.

Just now, TheWall said:

God, I would love to offload the Davis / Trumbo deals. 

The other issue is what sort of deal Jones would want. I can't imagine him settling for less than 3 years. 

Yeah, definitely.  Really not sure what his market would be right now.  Just takes 1 team looking for a veteran leader, and I don't think there are many in the sport with more leadership skills than Jones.

49 minutes ago, scOtt said:

You could say that about every year the last 3, 4, 5 years. Starts out good and then slowly gets beat down running into walls and HBP and what not. Let's just hope for better luck and health this year.

Sure. Hopefully Buck continues to DH him here and there.

2 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

This is why people are paid to make the tough decisions and not us! Hindsight is 20/20.

Archived