Bowden: Orioles closing in on "humbling" deal for Guerrero

Crazysilver03

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW:

I'd be all for trading Scott to the Blue Jays for a solid young talent or two and then turning around and signing Vlad on the cheap.

I'd be up for this too, but why wouldn't the Jays just sign Vlad? The only reason I can imagine is they need some left-handed bats. But AA doesn't strike me as the type to give up talent to a division rival when there's a chance he could find comparable production for just as cheap, if not cheaper, on the market.

I think Scott is currently more valuable to the O's than he is to other teams. That could change at the deadline, especially if Reimold is producing.

Gee, I'm sure glad we used our limited funds on Gregg. :rolleyes:

What a great observation. It drives me nuts that we spent that much on Gregg, and are now crying poor. This when we already had a good closer onboard in Koji, and two good setup men in Johnson and Gonzo (I know both have some injury issues but still...).

I don't mind spending a gazillion for a middle reliever if we can also spend a gazillion on a much-needed MOO hitter. This is why, when people are saying it doesn't matter what needs you address first in the offseason, I wonder what the flaming hell they are talking about. :eek:

It does matter what you address first when you're working on a tight budget, which we apparently are. I actually like AM generally, but I would have to ding him for painting himself into this corner.

What a great observation. It drives me nuts that we spent that much on Gregg, and are now crying poor. This when we already had a good closer onboard in Koji, and two good setup men in Johnson and Gonzo (I know both have some injury issues but still...).

I don't mind spending a gazillion for a middle reliever if we can also spend a gazillion on a much-needed MOO hitter. This is why, when people are saying it doesn't matter what needs you address first in the offseason, I wonder what the flaming hell they are talking about. :eek:

It does matter what you address first when you're working on a tight budget, which we apparently are. I actually like AM generally, but I would have to ding him for painting himself into this corner.

Absolutely.

How many people were on here saying, who cares if we overspent on Gregg?

Well, now you see why.

You could have had Rauch for less, gotten a good pitcher and maybe be in a better position to make a deal.

Exactly, Bradyburns. The Gregg signing really just brought in another reliever to a pen superfluous with closer/late-inning types. As SG pointed out, signing Rauch on the cheap would have been fine. Why on earth spend 10 million (at least:rolleyes:) on what arguably is a luxury?

Absolutely.

How many people were on here saying, who cares if we overspent on Gregg?

Well, now you see why.

You could have had Rauch for less, gotten a good pitcher and maybe be in a better position to make a deal.

And how many people were going apocalyptic because we didn't offer Koji arb and ended up saving a few million?

You can't have it both ways.

Archived