Bowden: Orioles closing in on "humbling" deal for Guerrero

Crazysilver03

Interesting.

I wonder if Guerrero would rather have a part-time role with the Rangers/Angels or a full-time role with the O's. Hmm...

I dont think it'd be wise to make him a full-time guy. He seemed to really wear down last year after 300-400 Pa's. He should get 300-400 like Thome did to be his best in my opinion.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like we are getting played...

I doubt AM is being played. He most likely has given Vlad's agent the perameters of a deal with the O's, and he can take it or leave it. O's fans may be desperate for Vlad, but the O's aren't. It's Texas who is being played to up their offer, IMO. He isn't sending out messages that he is on the verge of signing with Texas.

I wouldn't say that.

Bowden's source was on the money before...

Vlad wants a full time role. If he has to take that with a non-competitor, he will.

Vlad isn't going to sign here, that's just reality. I want him to be an Oriole but it's not going to happen.

An interesting twist to think about here is this... If this report is accurate, then it looks to me like AM would be trading Scott or Reimold as his first priority, with getting Vlad as part two of that move. In other words, he's not eyeing Vlad first, and saying: "If we get him, we might have to trade these other guys."

It appears he might want to trade Scott or Reimold anyway... and replace their offense with the best available option, which appears to be Vlad right now.

That would seem to change the debate a little, to: Would you trade Scott and/or Reimold away for XYZ pitcher?

We're not getting played at all. I think at this point it's obvious that MacPhail only wants to sign Vlad at his price. If we don't get him, so be it--he's a luxury (if you view him as an upgrade over Pie/Reimold) at this point.

The only teams that are getting "played" will be the Rangers or Angels. His agent is just trying to get them interested/ up whatever bids they have on the table.

If Vlad is using our bid as leverage for himself, that's fine. That's not called getting played-- that's called basic open market negotiating tactics.

We're not getting played at all. I think at this point it's obvious that MacPhail only wants to sign Vlad at his price. If we don't get him, so be it--he's a luxury (if you view him as an upgrade over Pie/Reimold) at this point.

The only teams that are getting "played" will be the Rangers or Angels. His agent is just trying to get them interested/ up whatever bids they have on the table.

If Vlad is using our bid as leverage for himself, that's fine. That's not called getting played-- that's called basic open market negotiating tactics.

But "were getting played!" sounds so much more dramatic! ;):D

Vlad isn't going to sign here, that's just reality. I want him to be an Oriole but it's not going to happen.

Reality is that recently, the Orioles have been getting an awful lot of calls on Luke Scott.

Why would the rest of baseball all of the sudden pick right now to inquire about Luke Scott?

If the rest of baseball thinks that Luke Scott is available, that means they think a deal for Vlad is imminent IMO.

Don't totally rule this out...

Reality is that recently, the Orioles have been getting an awful lot of calls on Luke Scott.

Why would the rest of baseball all of the sudden pick right now to inquire about Luke Scott?

If the rest of baseball thinks that Luke Scott is available, that means they think a deal for Vlad is imminent IMO.

Don't totally rule this out...

Thanks for your input!

If AM is able to deal Scott for a young, talented player and sign Vlad, I will be wholly impressed with the offseason.

An interesting twist to think about here is this... If this report is accurate, then it looks to me like AM would be trading Scott or Reimold as his first priority, with getting Vlad as part two of that move. In other words, he's not eyeing Vlad first, and saying: "If we get him, we might have to trade these other guys."

It appears he might want to trade Scott or Reimold anyway... and replace their offense with the best available option, which appears to be Vlad right now.

That would seem to change the debate a little, to: Would you trade Scott and/or Reimold away for XYZ pitcher?

I'd rather keep Luke Scott if Vlad is acquired. Luke's left field defense in 2008 was servicable when he was a full timer out there. I'd be willing to put up with it to get two potentially 25-30 HR bats in the lineup daily from Luke and Vlad.

If we are over budget for 2011 and need to move some salary to sign Vlad it's obvious Luke is the guy because he makes more than Pie or Reimold. I have been in favor of this but where is our left handed power going to come from? Nick and Matt? Not likely unless they have both bulked up this off season and start clearing the wall more instead of hitting doubles up against the wall. It is possible they could improve their power a little bit with better conditioning.

I think a lineup with Lee, Vlad, Reynolds and Hardy added to it will get the attention of a lot of pitchers this season and makes us a playoff possibility. This could be an interesting week for the Orioles whether it's Vlad added or a pitcher like Nolasco or Floyd. The perfect week as football quiets down a little with the Super Bowl 2 weeks away. I hope AM steps up and shows everyone we are serious about the coming season and it's about winning.

Archived