Bowden: Orioles closing in on "humbling" deal for Guerrero

Crazysilver03

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it points to a large gap between his and his agent's expectations, and those of the scout/analyst/GM community.

According to ESPN insider

Guerrero is likely looking at an offer in the one-year, $4 million range that Jim Thome received from the Twins.

Is that such a big expectation?

We're limited financially? Seriously?

If you have enough money to let Joe Jordan do whatever he wants in the draft, you have enough money to sign Vlad to a one year deal. Heyman's usually a mouthpiece for cat and mouse types of games between front office personnel and agents... maybe it's a ploy to get Vlad to realize that he's not getting a better offer than the Orioles?

If you have enough money to let Joe Jordan do whatever he wants in the draft, you have enough money to sign Vlad to a one year deal.

What if it's a choice between the two? $4 mm for the draft/international signings versus $4 mm to sign Vlad for one year?

Manny got 2M. At this point, he'll be lucky to get 4M.

Vlad's value the last 3 seasons, per fangraphs: $11.7 mm, $3.8 mm, $10.6 mm. And he comes with none of the headaches Manny brings. The team that gets Vlad is going to get a steal, IMO.

What if it's a choice between the two? $4 mm for the draft/international signings versus $4 mm to sign Vlad for one year?

Good question. I would say put it toward the draft/international signings. But then I look at our dearth of international signings, and I look at Matt Hobgood, and I say: sign Vlad.

Absolutely.

How many people were on here saying, who cares if we overspent on Gregg?

Well, now you see why.

You could have had Rauch for less, gotten a good pitcher and maybe be in a better position to make a deal.

Yes, I forgot about Rauch. I would have been happy with him on a bargain deal, given the fact that we have Koji to close. Rauch would have been a fine setup man, or middle reliever. When he's healthy, he's good.

But that's water under the bridge now. And again, I like Gregg. But if the choice was Gregg OR Vlad and Rauch, I know what I'd prefer.

I think the bottom line is that the Orioles don't want or need Vlad Guerrero....at any price. I think MacPhail understands that. He would be a meaningless one-year piece who would not make the Orioles better in the future. In fact, his presence would undoubtably hinder the growth of Pie and/or Reimold. Because Vlad can not longer effectively play in the OF, Scott would have to become the primary LF'er, which may hurt us defensively

All Guerrerro wants is 1 yr/4 mill? And Angelos won't give it to him?

Honestly, Angelos is lucky that he owns a sports franchise and not a 7-11. With the lack of effort he puts into his product, he'd have gone out of business years ago if he wasn't in a unique industry where people take pride in sticking with their team through thick and thin.

Absolutely.

How many people were on here saying, who cares if we overspent on Gregg?

Well, now you see why.

You could have had Rauch for less, gotten a good pitcher and maybe be in a better position to make a deal.

With know how much Buck loved Andino's hat situation...

I can only imagine how much he would love Rauch's SWEET neck tat.

rauch.jpeg

Archived