Bowden: Orioles closing in on "humbling" deal for Guerrero

Crazysilver03

I'd rather keep Luke Scott if Vlad is acquired. Luke's left field defense in 2008 was servicable when he was a full timer out there. I'd be willing to put up with it to get two potentially 25-30 HR bats in the lineup daily from Luke and Vlad.

Absolutely! I want to keep all three, Luke, Pie and Reimold!

Unless AM can swing an AMAZING deal. Which I don't expect. All three seem to have more value to us than we could get in trade.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any updates on Hot Stove tonight?

About an hour ago, Hot Stove brought up Vlad and produced nothing new. They quoted Nolan Ryan as saying that it would be great to have Vlad back. They then provided the quote by AM refuting the the "O's are close to signing Vlad" rumor.

Man, it sure sucks for Vlad... He had a great year last year and now is in a situation where he may make less than he previously did. Oh well, part of the game I suppose.

It seems pretty bizarre to me. I see the reasons we might not want to pursue him unless he comes very cheaply, but I have to think there are other teams that would get a huge potential boost from a guy like Vlad.

The more I've looked at this, the more I'm hoping he falls into our lap. Guys who have power but who almost never strike out (60 K's in 643 PA) are very rare, and I'm convinced he has 2-3 productive years left.

It seems pretty bizarre to me. I see the reasons we might not want to pursue him unless he comes very cheaply, but I have to think there are other teams that would get a huge potential boost from a guy like Vlad.

The more I've looked at this, the more I'm hoping he falls into our lap. Guys who have power but who almost never strike out (60 K's in 643 PA) are very rare, and I'm convinced he has 2-3 productive years left.

This is a much-overlooked point. Vlad is seen by some as a hacker. Not so. He's just unnaturally talented and can afford to swing at pitches out of the zone. That's part of the reason a 1/5 deal would make sense to me, all things being equal. Of course, we're over our budget, so I'm just hoping we can afford uniforms this year.

I think that scouts and evaluators must have seen things that they really didn't like in the second half of last season, because just on the face of it, there should be much greater demand for a guy with his history and the numbers he put up last year. My own observation was that his bat looked slow, and that pitchers were challenging him in ways they never used to do. And yet he bounced back fine in September.

I don't know. I've been lukewarm at best about the idea of going after him, but I have to admit that when his signing seemed imminent a few days ago, I started to get pumped about the possibilities. If he has even a reasonable chance of approaching his old form, he would be an exciting addition.

I doubt Bowden wants to admit he's wrong, but isn't it strange that according to him we've been "close" since the end of last week now? You'd have to think if this was true it'd be reported by other sources by now rather than being denied.

I hate getting my hopes up for nothing. :P

I think that scouts and evaluators must have seen things that they really didn't like in the second half of last season, because just on the face of it, there should be much greater demand for a guy with his history and the numbers he put up last year. My own observation was that his bat looked slow, and that pitchers were challenging him in ways they never used to do. And yet he bounced back fine in September.

I don't know. I've been lukewarm at best about the idea of going after him, but I have to admit that when his signing seemed imminent a few days ago, I started to get pumped about the possibilities. If he has even a reasonable chance of approaching his old form, he would be an exciting addition.

Arthur? Have you come to the dark side?:vader:

I doubt Bowden wants to admit he's wrong, but isn't it strange that according to him we've been "close" since the end of last week now? You'd have to think if this was true it'd be reported by other sources by now rather than being denied.

I hate getting my hopes up for nothing. :P

I know what you mean...this would be the second time Vlad's burned me...I hope we sign him. I didn't think we would, but then I actually let myself start believing....

The upside that comes with Vlad is tantalizing.

I started to run some comps of old guys with power who didn't strike out much, but I don't think it showed a lot. Some played into their 40s, some didn't, some kept hitting but couldn't stay in the lineup.

I think Vlad may be one of those guys like Matt Stairs and Smokey Burgess who could hit .290 from a wheelchair at the age of 48. But it's still to be seen if he can or even wants to drag himself up to the plate if his body doesn't cooperate. And it's showing ever increasing signs of being uncooperative.

It's called decline because of age.

How many years did Vlad age this offseason, like five? Why so sure that he's ready for a collapse? People have been saying that about him for years... on this board, in fact! Every year it's the same thing: Vlad's over. He sucks. He can barely walk. And every year, he proves the doubters wrong. AND he's putting up more at-bats than supposed young studs like Hardy all the time!

He just goes out and performs. Maybe it ain't as pretty as it used to be... but 115 RBIs? That's not luck, or a hot half, my friend. That's a legendary talent in the twilight - not the end - of his career.

How many years did Vlad age this offseason, like five? Why so sure that he's ready for a collapse? People have been saying that about him for years... on this board, in fact! Every year it's the same thing: Vlad's over. He sucks. He can barely walk. And every year, he proves the doubters wrong. AND he's putting up more at-bats than supposed young studs like Hardy all the time!

He just goes out and performs. Maybe it ain't as pretty as it used to be... but 115 RBIs? That's not luck, or a hot half, my friend. That's a legendary talent in the twilight - not the end - of his career.

Idon't know about you but I think I see a trend.

1.012 OPS age 28

.841 age 35

Archived