Don Brown Leaves

JohnD

Wow. I wanted Brown to come back because the team had obviously learned the defense so much better the second year in the system than what they had done that first year. Now it means they have to start again from scratch with whatever system whoever gets hired as DC wants to run. It may turn out to be a good transition, and maybe it's best in the long run to make all the changes at once, but it likely means an uneven year on defense.

But then again, when Friedgen came in the first year he had incredible success, and with less apparent reason for optimisim than we had going into this offseason. So we'll have to see how it all shakes out.

Heard from someone who would know that Brown was ready to leave if Friedgen was coming back. Just didn't like working for him. So it's not a huge surprise that a job would open up back where he's spent almost his entire life and he would want to take it. At least he kept the recruiting class in place. I wish he were sticking around though.

Heard from someone who would know that Brown was ready to leave if Friedgen was coming back. Just didn't like working for him. So it's not a huge surprise that a job would open up back where he's spent almost his entire life and he would want to take it. At least he kept the recruiting class in place. I wish he were sticking around though.

From the sounds of it, a lot of the new defensive signees are not happy, and I can't blame them. They have to feel like they just got duped. Wonder if any of them will ask for a release from their LOI?

As for where the defense goes from here, we can only hope that someone with a scheme similar to Brown's is hired as DC. Although the way things have been going at UM lately I almost expect to see Chris Cosh come back. :mad: Either way, I can't imagine there are many good defensive coaches still available....unless someone else is looking to jump ship from another school.

Shoulda stuck with what was working. This whole "changeover" is turning into one big debacle. I think next season is going to be a disaster.

It won't be a disaster but it will obviously be a transition period. Let's remember that we have most likely the best young QB in the ACC right now and a coach that turned UConn from nothing to something. Obviously there are lots of changes going on, but let's let it play itself out before we call the upcoming season a disaster.

Hey, at least he jumped ship after conning defensive recruits to sign with Maryland. I mean, he can leave at will, and the players are now stuck with a commitment they can't get out of without sitting out at least one year and a bill of goods.

Well played, sir, well played.

Archived