Should Pie have plowed into Joba?

NewMarketSean

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cal and Billy were just talking about this on XM. Billy thinks Joba did a great job of blocking the plate and did it intentianally. Also that Felix didn't expect such a perfect carom and it surprised him into not knowing exactly how to approach the plate. Cal thinks if Pie slides hard, he's safe.

I know what Cal would of done. Bring the beast down!!!

I used to play catcher and I lived for homeplate collisions. I once got the rules changed in my league because I ran the other teams catcher down. After that they made us slide.

What would of Teixera done? Or ARod? They would of tried to drop our guy like a rock.

Clearly Pie was sliding, and I actually don't think it was a bad one at all. As has been discussed, Joba just got himself to the plate quickly and luckily had his foot in the right place at the right time. It sucks but nothing we could do.

Stupid decision? Reynolds struck out anyway. Most of the time Pie is going to beat that play. He went right away on the wild pitch like he's supposed to. It was a strong carom off the backstop and it was a close play. He was only out because of a freak play. It was a good decision and a bad result. Pie also deserves credit for getting to third on Jones' hit to LF, a play that I couldn't believe ARod couldn't make. Of course, when the run doesn't score and your team wins, nobody talks about that one.

I basically agree here. I do think Pie should have slid to the inside of the plate, but it was kind of an awkward play all around. Most runners would have taken off once the ball got past the catcher, and most would have been out at home due to the carom the ball took and the fact that Joba did a good job of getting to the plate quickly. The play was close because Pie is so fast; for most players they would have been out whether they had slid or not. In Pie's case, his speed made the play close, but his route to the plate and failure to slide well might have caused him to be out instead of safe.

Totally disagree. That play starts a thread regardless of who was running.
Where are the threads on Luke Scott's plays in LF? Plays that cost us runs? Plays that Pie could have made? Luke is popular and he hits HR therefore he is exempt. As are Jones, Markakis and Roberts.

Where are the threads on Luke Scott's plays in LF? Plays that cost us runs? Plays that Pie could have made? Luke is popular and he hits HR therefore he is exempt. As are Jones, Markakis and Roberts.

There IS a thread on Luke Scott's defense (or lack thereof) last night. Furthermore, Scott's defense is poor in LF primarily because of his lack of physical ability re: speed and agility. His poor defense was not due to any "mistake" because it had nothing to do with his mental state, just his physical ability.

Pie, on the other hand, made a mental error IMO when he did NOT slide into homeplate. Yes, he attempted to slide when it became clear that it would be a close play, but it was too late.

All of that said, I do agree to some extent that Pie is a popular target on these boards. However, that does NOT pertain to whether or not he made a mistake on this particular play.

Good point. You may be more correct than I want to believe.

I don't care what anyone says. Matt set the tone when he kicked the hell out of Upton. Bring the pain or stay home. I don't care if it's April and I don't care if you're giving up 40 pounds. You get paid to play a game and you should lay everything out every night. I'll take injuries and a losing season knowing that my guys gave as good as they got.

Personal side note. I'm a life long Utah Utes fan. In this year's game against TCU our quarterback Jordan Wynn slid down on a third down scramble and run about 2 yards short of a first in the beginning of the game. It set up an ass whooping of epic proportions. If you don't want to leave it all on the field, don't come to play. For god's sake I'll run into the fence playing slow pitch soft ball just because I want to win. No excuse.

Archived