vs. MARINERS 5 / 12

OFFNY

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious if the fact that someone nicely pointed out why you were wrong combined with this information will lead you to realize your mistake. This is a great example of why statistics are only useful if used correctly.

I gotta say, so far you aren't doing a great job of ignoring me. Then again, you also aren't doing a great job posting witty or insightful comments either. At least you are consistent.

Wow, you still don't see it, do you? The stats you quoted were "total run expectancy". To determine the right play when you need one run, the analysis would need to be binary - ie, did or didn't score. That analysis has been done many, many times. 2nd base one out beats 1st base no outs so it makes sense if you only want/need one run. In other words, that exact situation.

This, Earl was one of the first guys to realize this, thus the wait for the 3run homer, but he was playing for big innings early in games. Even earl put the bunt sign on late in games needing one run.

Wow, you still don't see it, do you? The stats you quoted were "total run expectancy". To determine the right play when you need one run, the analysis would need to be binary - ie, did or didn't score. That analysis has been done many, many times. 2nd base one out beats 1st base no outs so it makes sense if you only want/need one run. In other words, that exact situation.

No it doesn't. Even if you need one run you are better off with runner on first no outs.

Archived