What is wrong with Nick?

21xxxv

I fully understand the ups and downs of baseball, but I don't pretend to be a GM. I don't care if he earned his salary in May or not, he just hasn't been nearly good enough, IMO.

I can't comprehend how my caveat of "he can still have a good season", doesn't indicate that i've taken into account the ups and downs of baseball. Is it really that big of a deal to say that to date his .671 OPS in 46 games (Not really a small sample size) has been unacceptable?

Or is it the word choice "unacceptable" that has everyone's panties in a bunch? Would, "disappointing" be better? Has his first 46 games been a disappointment to you? I don't see how it couldn't be.

Sorry, I'm just annoyed at being called crazy for my OP. I don't get it, and think it was off base.

I disagree with your comment that 46 games is not a small sample size, while it's not tiny, it can still be deceptive. After all, David Newhan had a .814 OPS in 95 games in 2004 and never came within 100 points of that again (or before). Before today's game, Carl Crawford was batting .212/.249/.293 in 45 games.

I agree that Markakis had a disappointing (or unacceptable) April. Overall, though, I am still not too concerned with Markakis, especially considering that he's been showing signs of turning it around in May.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree with your comment that 46 games is not a small sample size, while it's not tiny, it can still be deceptive. After all, David Newhan had a .814 OPS in 95 games in 2004 and never came within 100 points of that again (or before). Before today's game, Carl Crawford was batting .212/.249/.293 in 45 games.

I agree that Markakis had a disappointing (or unacceptable) April. Overall, though, I am still not too concerned with Markakis, especially considering that he's been showing signs of turning it around in May.

Fair enough, and I do think he'll turn it around. But it's been a bad start cumulatively, through 46 games, that's all I'm really trying to say here. Not sure what's 'crazy' about that, but whatever.

Fair enough, and I do think he'll turn it around. But it's been a bad start cumulatively, through 46 games, that's all I'm really trying to say here. Not sure what's 'crazy' about that, but whatever.

I wouldn't worry about it. Yesterday was the day after an off day. I think I read somewhere that Frobby gets antsy the day after an off day.

That's not crazy, and I apologize for reacting so strongly to your post. We all agree that we need more from Nick than we've gotten so far and that his lack of power is a concern.

That's not crazy, and I apologize for reacting so strongly to your post. We all agree that we need more from Nick than we've gotten so far and that his lack of power is a concern.

It's all good, I probably shouldn't have used such a strong word in my OP. I'm just frustrated with him is all. Probably because he's my favorite current Oriole. Sorry for being on edge.

I will re-state what I have said in all the other "Whats wrong with Nick" threads. Nick Markakis is the least of my Oriole concerns.

But that's not the point. He shouldn't be a guy that we don't have to worry about. He's supposed to be the guy that his play masks the things that we do worry about. That's what he's getting paid for.

Markakis has a UZR/150 of -12.4.

I just find that shocking, even with the knowledge the number has been negative the last two years as well. I see a guy that regularly covers a lot of ground for a RF (particularly to the line), and consistently limits hitters from advancing by quickly getting to the ball and making accurate throws.

I get that eyes lie, I just have a hard time believing Markakis is not one of the best defensive RF's in the game.

I might get ripped by some for this but my eyes can tell me that a guy is a good defensive player or not. I have very little interest in these numbers at all. I mean how hard it is to watch the game and tell whether or not a guy is a good fielder or not. Markakis is above average, your eyes aren't wrong.

Zreibiec keeps pointing out on his blog that he thinks Nick's problems are more mental offesively. He says how much of a hard worker he is. The bottom line is he is not producing at a rate acceptable for his talent and the money he is making, hopefully he can get on a roll.

The man has a 10 game hitting streak going and we're asking what is wrong with him..... what is wrong with this picture?

I know the thread pre-dates the streak... but why are people still asking the question... the doubles will come. The average and OPS will continue to rise. I'm starting to think Markakis might just be one of those guys who just doesn't start out the year very hot but gets going by mid-May or so. And yes, he'll finish the year with an average no less than .290.... and an OPS of around .800 IMO. The season's just 1/4 done.

The man has a 10 game hitting streak going and we're asking what is wrong with him..... what is wrong with this picture?

I know the thread pre-dates the streak... but why are people still asking the question... the doubles will come. The average and OPS will continue to rise. I'm starting to think Markakis might just be one of those guys who just doesn't start out the year very hot but gets going by mid-May or so. And yes, he'll finish the year with an average no less than .290.... and an OPS of around .800 IMO. The season's just 1/4 done.

The thread doesn't pre-date the streak. It was started after Tuesday's game when Nick's hitting streak was at 9 games. At this point, I think the concern is about XBH. All signs are that Nick's BA and OBP will normalize eventually. But declining power is a 3-year trend and it is fair for people to be concerned.

Nick was a 2nd-half player in his first 3 years, but not since then, so there's no guarantee that his SLG will return to past levels. I'm still hopeful it will, and you are right that there is plenty of time for that to happen. It would be OK with me if Nick smacked a ball off or over the scoreboard before leaving for the road trip.

Does the local media in Baltimore ever question him or Buck about his weight?

He is obviously skinnier these last 2 years. And even the most recent scout who commented about him in the report that was floating around' date=' says he's noticeably thinner.[/quote']

I'd like to know about this as well. Anyone have any info?

I don't mean to sound like oldfan ("shudder, shudder, vomit in mouth a little"), but it is looking more and more like Markakis is just not the player that almost all of us, or maybe even all of us minus oldfan, hoped he would be. Markakis looked like he was going to be a .300 hitting, 25 - 30 homer, gold glove right fielder, but unfortunately the power is just not there. the rest of his game is solid, but the power is just not there. During his current slump, he just seems to be missing the ball. He gets jammed a ton, pops up pitches that are out over the plate, etc. The lack of power and disappointment among almost all of us that he is not the player we want him to be makes watching his struggles very tough. He also seems to go outside his game far more often this year. For example, I've seen a number of at bats this year where Markakis hacks at the first pitch from a pitcher who is struggling with command, and these are not hitter's pitches. He seems to be thinking that the pitcher is going to give him a fastball over the plate to avoid getting behind and is overly aggressive. Anyway, 98% of the negatives posted about Markakis are about fundamental disappointment in his trajectory. We thought we had a perennial all star in the making, but instead he's just a very good player. Being a very good player is great, but unfortunately most of us wanted a lot more, fair or not. I think it will be easier to watch Markakis' ups and downs if we have a more realistic view of what he is and what he is likely to be.

I don't mean to sound like oldfan ("shudder, shudder, vomit in mouth a little"), but it is looking more and more like Markakis is just not the player that almost all of us, or maybe even all of us minus oldfan, hoped he would be. Markakis looked like he was going to be a .300 hitting, 25 - 30 homer, gold glove right fielder, but unfortunately the power is just not there. the rest of his game is solid, but the power is just not there. During his current slump, he just seems to be missing the ball. He gets jammed a ton, pops up pitches that are out over the plate, etc. The lack of power and disappointment among almost all of us that he is not the player we want him to be makes watching his struggles very tough. He also seems to go outside his game far more often this year. For example, I've seen a number of at bats this year where Markakis hacks at the first pitch from a pitcher who is struggling with command, and these are not hitter's pitches. He seems to be thinking that the pitcher is going to give him a fastball over the plate to avoid getting behind and is overly aggressive. Anyway, 98% of the negatives posted about Markakis are about fundamental disappointment in his trajectory. We thought we had a perennial all star in the making, but instead he's just a very good player. Being a very good player is great, but unfortunately most of us wanted a lot more, fair or not. I think it will be easier to watch Markakis' ups and downs if we have a more realistic view of what he is and what he is likely to be.

If he doesn't finish this season hitting at a much higher level, I will reluctantly agree with you. And I think you may be spot on with this post. We are not talking small sample size here. This is the third season in a row of very mediocre production from Nick. My eyes still tell me he is more than a mediocre player, but three straight complete seasons of mediocre will start to sway me in to seeing it your way. I hope not, but at some point we may have to concede to the numbers and the reality that Nick Markakis is just not all that.

If he doesn't finish this season hitting at a much higher level, I will reluctantly agree with you. And I think you may be spot on with this post. We are not talking small sample size here. This is the third season in a row of very mediocre production from Nick. My eyes still tell me he is more than a mediocre player, but three straight complete seasons of mediocre will start to sway me in to seeing it your way. I hope not, but at some point we may have to concede to the numbers and the reality that Nick Markakis is just not all that.

I want to make clear though that I think Markakis is a good to very good all around player. I think he's better than "mediocre". He's just not the player most of us had hoped he would be (and Markakis' early success made those fairly reasonable hopes).

I don't mean to sound like oldfan ("shudder, shudder, vomit in mouth a little"), but it is looking more and more like Markakis is just not the player that almost all of us, or maybe even all of us minus oldfan, hoped he would be. Markakis looked like he was going to be a .300 hitting, 25 - 30 homer, gold glove right fielder, but unfortunately the power is just not there. the rest of his game is solid, but the power is just not there....Anyway, 98% of the negatives posted about Markakis are about fundamental disappointment in his trajectory. We thought we had a perennial all star in the making, but instead he's just a very good player. Being a very good player is great, but unfortunately most of us wanted a lot more, fair or not. I think it will be easier to watch Markakis' ups and downs if we have a more realistic view of what he is and what he is likely to be.

I had two beefs with Old#5Fan. First, he didn't adequately appreciate what Nick was doing back in 2007-08. An .897 OPS somehow wasn't that good because he walked a lot and didn't knock in 100 runs in 2008. That was just ridiculous. But second, he didn't see Nick progressing from there, and most of us did. Nick's OPS went from .799 to .848 to .897, and I think a lot of us thought we had a .900+ player on our hand. Instead, he's hovered around .800 in 2009-10, and it looks like he'll be lucky to make it to that level this year. So, points for Old#5Fan, whatever good that will do him. The discussion is much better without him.

I still counsel patience in awaiting how the full season unfolds. Let's not forget that Nick was hitting .223/.314/.322 on May 26, 2006. That year, he never got hit bat going until mid-June, but once he got his swing in a groove, he made up ground in a hurry. Here, Nick has already raised his OPS by 107 points in May, and that's just by having a solid month, not a great one. Here are some months Nick has had in the past:

July 2006 -- .403/.440/.558

Aug. 2006 -- .354/.400/.740 (10 homers in a month after hitting 4 all year to that point)

July 2007 -- .351/.427/.489

Aug. 2007 -- .306/.381/.550

Sept. 2007 -- .325/.374/.570

June 2008 -- .339/.448/.514

July 2008 -- .317/.405/.505

Aug. 2008 -- .355/.453/.570

Apr. 2009 -- ..381/.460/.560

Aug. 2009 -- .325/.366/.516

Sept. 2010 -- .344/.391/.500

All Nick has to do is throw off one good month like those, and suddenly his numbers look just fine.

Archived