Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

The Reds have one SP with a better ERA than Guts, who is putting up a sub 4.00 ERA in the AL East. Thy could definitely use him if they are serious about contending. Alonso + for Guts would be a good deal for both teams, IMO.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at it this way - would any of you, any of you, trade Yonder Alonso if we had him for Jeremy Guthrie? No way. Not in a million years. Why would we want to add a solid but unspectacular veteran finally becoming expensive and already 32? We'd say, "why not just sign a comparable pitcher in FA and not give up the 24-year-old prospect at a position of need OPSing 890 in AAA".

Do you guys want to trade Reimold for Joe Saunders? Good, me neither.

If I drew the conclusion that I was a SP away from contending the "Yes". Alonso is essentially blocked and playing out of position ...So for them he is depth. For them you consider making the deal for all the right reasons. If your the Orioles you dont trade for a Guthrie type pitcher because you dont stand a chance.

If I drew the conclusion that I was a SP away from contending the "Yes". Alonso is essentially blocked and playing out of position ...So for them he is depth. For them you consider making the deal for all the right reasons. If your the Orioles you dont trade for a Guthrie type pitcher because you dont stand a chance.

What he said..

It is apples and astronauts. I would gladly trade Alonso for Guthrie if roles were reversed and the O's were in contention and needed starting pitching. A guy with sustained success in the AL East, fairly cheap for the next year and a half (a period I expect to contend in) pitching in the NL Central. Guthrie is a pretty damn good pitcher and would easily be the second best pitcher in that rotation and maybe the best.

Actually, I could make a good argument that we'd get more for Guts in the offseason -- when more teams are looking for pitching (not just those in the race) and you can consider young starters as well as minor leaguers.

I agree that I would not give Guthrie a 4 year deal and I'm open to trading him but i think the idea that we must trade him in the middle of the season or lose him for nothing is a false statement.

The rule of thumb is pitching fetches more at the deadline.

Look at it this way - would any of you, any of you, trade Yonder Alonso if we had him for Jeremy Guthrie? No way. Not in a million years. Why would we want to add a solid but unspectacular veteran finally becoming expensive and already 32? We'd say, "why not just sign a comparable pitcher in FA and not give up the 24-year-old prospect at a position of need OPSing 890 in AAA".

If this "logic" was always used, no trades would ever get done.

The fact of that matter is that Alonso is a blocked prospect and has been switched to a new position...If he is good out there, so be it, I may be less willing to deal him.

But if I had a blocked prospect, who is a solid prospect not a GREAT one(ie, not on the level of a guy like Trout or someone like that) and I had a huge need at starting pitcher and I was in the NL, then Guthrie is a great target.

In the NL, it is very likely Guthrie does enough next year to where he is at least a type B FA. So, you do get back a decent prospect in return when it is all said and done.

So, it would depend on the situation of both my team, the player we are getting and the prospect, in this case, Guthrie.

Now, if the Reds feel Alonso will be fine in LF OR they don't feel they have what it takes to get into the playoffs this year, then perhaps you don't make the deal.

Of course I would. If I felt I was a pitcher away from making a run at a championship and I dare say almost everyone on here would make that deal.

That is two completely different situations. If we were chasing a penant this year and had poor pitching, I could see where I would give up Alonso for Guthrie, especially if I already had Votto at 1B.

Also, what FA, of Guthrie's caliber, is on the FA market? Why give out a huge contract if you don't have to.

That is two completely different situations. If we were chasing a penant this year and had poor pitching, I could see where I would give up Alonso for Guthrie, especially if I already had Votto at 1B.

Also, what FA, of Guthrie's caliber, is on the FA market? Why give out a huge contract if you don't have to.

1) We may not need a FA pitcher next year.

2) If we do need one, there could be some innings eater, cost effective FAs out there depending on options being picked up or not.

Alonso is probably a borderline .800 guy in the majors. That is below average for a 1B. Like Drungo pointed out, that's about Overbay or Huff-level production. You can plug in guys like that. Although being cost controlled does account for something.

But Alonso is not the kind of upper echelon talent that is going to boost your lineup to new levels. Not even close.

Alonso is probably a borderline .800 guy in the majors. That is below average for a 1B. Like Drungo pointed out, that's about Overbay or Huff-level production. You can plug in guys like that. Although being cost controlled does account for something.

But Alonso is not the kind of upper echelon talent that is going to boost your lineup to new levels. Not even close.

To be fair, Guthrie's good, but he's not the type of starter that is going to get you upper echelon talent in return. Alonso is right around the talent level of a player that should headline a Guthrie deal.

To be fair, Guthrie's good, but he's not the type of starter that is going to get you upper echelon talent in return. Alonso is right around the talent level of a player that should headline a Guthrie deal.

Oh I agree 100%, my point I guess is that I'd rather try to plug 1B with a big spend like Fielder than going cheap on it.

Archived