Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

:rofl:

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree.

Marquis has a lower ERA than Guthrie. He has given up 6 just 6 homers in 12 starts. He has a good K/B ratio. I'd say he'd be a good option.

You want to bring a guy like this in who 1 yr older than Guthrie with nowhere close the talent? Guthrie is far superior.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marquis has a lower ERA than Guthrie. He has given up 6 just 6 homers in 12 starts. He has a good K/B ratio. I'd say he'd be a good option.

You are really citing ERA of an NL pitcher as an argument against a starter in the AL East? What are their FIPs and other cooky stats? How about how Marquis wasn't very good last year.

You are really citing ERA of an NL pitcher as an argument against a starter in the AL East? What are their FIPs and other cooky stats? How about how Marquis wasn't very good last year.

Very true. But Guts wasn't very good a couple years ago either, after the WBC. Isn't the WBC coming up again this coming off-season. Do you think he'll play again? I realize there's nothing definitive that says the WBC caused his struggles that season.

Alonso + a prospect or two & Marquis is greater than Guthrie ...Bottom line.

To get an extra run a game for Matusz , Britton , and Arrieta it would be worth pitching any 2 of the following of Bergesen , Tillman, Jak , Simon , Berken , Patton, Hendrickson, etc, until the Bundy's arrive ( 2013 & 2014 ).

Take the Guthrie/Vlad/Scott savings and buy another bat ( Lee's money will be going toward Jones and Hardy ).

Win 3 of out of every 5 , and you will be in the playoffs.

That said I would like more than just Alonso. I think Guthrie should bring a Jones/Tillman and possibly Mickolio return (less than Bedard, but not much - Tillman was in A ). Given the extra year of service and 2 picks for the acquiring team why would he not be worth similar to half a year of Cliff Lee ? ( I know Seattle gave up something else to get Smoak plus some others - by the way who and how are the others in that deal doing, and what did Texas draft with the picks )

List of 2012 free agent starters:

Mark Buehrle CWS

Chris Carpenter STL *

Aaron Cook COL *

Kyle Davies KC

Zach Duke ARI

Edwin Jackson CWS

Scott Kazmir LAA *

Paul Maholm PIT

Jason Marquis WAS

Scott Olsen PIT *

Roy Oswalt PHI *

Oliver Perez NYM

Joel Pineiro LAA

Brian Tallet STL

Tim Wakefield BOS

C.J. Wilson TEX

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/04/potential-free-agents-for-2012.html

Nick is at a cross roads because the media is harping on his lack of XBH and lack of production. I would say he is challenging his salary. If he is not fighting an undisclosed injury, he is flirting with a terrible signing. His defense has been decent, his offense, not so much for the media. Is that fair? Doesn't matter when you make 12.5 million. I tend to agree. Produce or die is my world. If I tank a year after a nice raise, I am unemployed. Now nice to me is 200k total salary, so different worlds, but if I under-perform, I am out. Maybe pro sports need to have that mantra. Will I be picked up if I am let go? Yep, similar in that regard to Nick. Obviously the pressure is reduced for Nick or maybe he is pressing too much? When I played sports, the usual motivations were frequently negative. So at the end of this post, I am completely torn as to a solution. Let him go? He flourishes elsewhere. Keep him and he continues to struggle. How to snap out without upsetting? In Buck we trust.

Nick is at a cross roads because the media is harping on his lack of XBH and lack of production. I would say he is challenging his salary. If he is not fighting an undisclosed injury, he is flirting with a terrible signing. His defense has been decent, his offense, not so much for the media. Is that fair? Doesn't matter when you make 12.5 million. I tend to agree. Produce or die is my world. If I tank a year after a nice raise, I am unemployed. Now nice to me is 200k total salary, so different worlds, but if I under-perform, I am out. Maybe pro sports need to have that mantra. Will I be picked up if I am let go? Yep, similar in that regard to Nick. Obviously the pressure is reduced for Nick or maybe he is pressing too much? When I played sports, the usual motivations were frequently negative. So at the end of this post, I am completely torn as to a solution. Let him go? He flourishes elsewhere. Keep him and he continues to struggle. How to snap out without upsetting? In Buck we trust.

Did you get into gurgi's Ambien? :D

Did you get into gurgi's Ambien? :D

No just some great merlot. Same same possibly, though I prefer the more au natural approach. I formulated a response to a thread, clicked on the wrong one and let fly. It happens. My apologies. Lather rinse repeat.

While I think you can come up with a decent #4 or #5 starter in free agency for $10M a year, I wouldn't really be advocating a 32-year-old who has a NL-exclusive 4.53 career ERA whose "good" 2011 performance is still below league average. Marquis is a back-end pitcher. He's Kevin Millwood. He's a year removed from 13 starts and a 6.60.

Marquis?

lololololol

NL. He's terrible.

Career:

1.426 WHIP

4.53 ERA

He stinks compared to Guts. It's not even close.

I didnt say he was Guthrie ...Without looking at a list of available guys I came up with a name you could sign to be a backend starter to justify trading Guthrie for Alonsoor some comparable and a couple other players.

Archived