Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

And the players you get for Guthrie will help out how?, for Peter Angelos' checkbook? We have spent years trying to get a good crop of talent to build around and now you are worried it isn't enough? You need to do everything in your power to get the most out of the talent we have now and by keeping Guthrie you are keeping a consistent pitcher to build around.

If I was Cincy I would make that trade in a second unless they don't have any money.

Guthrie isn't a pitcher you build around.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who? Enlighten me?

Alonso isn't AGone.

Maybe not....But I bet when we could have had AGon for Ponson, you would have said then that Agon wasn't going to develop into the player he is now...And Alonso has had a similar MiL career to AGon.

As I have always said, if we can get a better prospect as the centerpiece of a deal for Guthrie, great...Go get someone better.

I just doubt we can and Alonso is a very good prospect himself and has good upside, maybe even perennial AS upside if he develops more.

He is a workhorse, an innnings eater, a better pitcher than most here give him credit for.

Yes, he is a good pitcher..better than I thought he would be.

But the fact of the matter is, no matter how much you want him to not decline and not matter how much you think he won't decline, he is going to.

The question is when. It could start in the second half of this season...or it may not be for 2-3 years.

Either way, he isn't an ace. He isn't a guy you build a rotation around. You build rotations around aces and TOR guys...Guthrie isn't in that class no matter how much you think he is.

Maybe not....But I bet when we could have had AGon for Ponson, you would have said then that Agon wasn't going to develop into the player he is now...And Alonso has had a similar MiL career to AGon.

As I have always said, if we can get a better prospect as the centerpiece of a deal for Guthrie, great...Go get someone better.

I just doubt we can and Alonso is a very good prospect himself and has good upside, maybe even perennial AS upside if he develops more.

Why do you think Showalter came here, to act like we are Pittsburgh. Ponson was a fat drunk slob, not close to being Guthrie.

Alonso could turn out to be Erubiel Durazo or Bob Hamelin too couldn't he?

Why is it always the best case scenario for a prospect and always a decline for an "aging player".

Alonso could turn out to be Erubiel Durazo or Bob Hamelin too couldn't he?

He sure could. We could also keep Guthrie, he has a poor year like a few years ago and the Orioles can't trade him and non tender him because they don't want him to accept 10 million in arbitration.
Why is it always the best case scenario for a prospect and always a decline for an "aging player".
Its not...But common sense says the young, high upside player on a losing team going no where is better than the aging, expensive player soon to hit a decline.

I think the real argument here is that Alonso + a free agent pitcher at $10-$12M a year or so is more valuable than just keeping Guthrie through his mid-30s at $10-$15M a year.

This says it all....I'am hoping they have a better match in player other than Alonso...Hopefully some team is really desperate that covets Guthrie.

He sure could. We could also keep Guthrie, he has a poor year like a few years ago and the Orioles can't trade him and non tender him because they don't want him to accept 10 million in arbitration. Its not...But common sense says the young, high upside player on a losing team going no where is better than the aging, expensive player soon to hit a decline.

So you are going to contend in the AL East living in fear?

I think the team with other additions can compete sooner than you do.

I am not advocating we should go out and sign a bunch of 30 something players, far from it. I believe in Guthrie. You make decisions based on a specific player not a broad-brush approach.

This says it all....I'am hoping they have a better match in player other than Alonso...Hopefully some team is really desperate that covets Guthrie.

What is the name of the pitcher who will sign that contract to play in Baltimore? I didn't realize it was that simple.

What is the name of the pitcher who will sign that contract to play in Baltimore? I didn't realize it was that simple.

Honestly I hope that the Orioles dont have to go outside the organization...They have Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, in place as 1-3 ...They have to figure out what they have in Bergy, Tillman, Jak and have some other guys on the way. They may not need to sign a free agent. If they do they will have a number of guys to choose from. There is always a Jason Marquis type guy out there.

Honestly I hope that the Orioles dont have to go outside the organization...They have Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, in place as 1-3 ...They have to figure out what they have in Bergy, Tillman, Jak and have some other guys on the way. They may not need to sign a free agent. If they do they will have a number of guys to choose from. There is always a Jason Marquis type guy out there.

A Jason Marquis type would get bombed in this division, a batting practice pitcher.

You are bringing Jak into this conversation? Bergy and Tillman are inconsistent, we already know that.

A Jason Marquis type would get bombed in this division, a batting practice pitcher.

:rofl:

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree.

Marquis has a lower ERA than Guthrie. He has given up 6 just 6 homers in 12 starts. He has a good K/B ratio. I'd say he'd be a good option.

Archived