Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

I don't like Alonso. He's too old, doesn't hit for enough power, and strikes out far too often. McPhail could get more, and will, if he decides to trade Guthrie.

Whaat? He has a career K% in the minors right around 16, which is excellent. His career MiL K/BB ratio is 174/123, also pretty stellar. Discipline and contact abilities are two of his relative strong points.

Maybe you're going off 29 ABs over 22 games in the big leagues last season? I don't think you can take much from that.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not if the goal is to win, we don't need another complementary player.

You are right. Better to let Guthrie walks, draft two kids in 2013 and get their help in 2015-2016 than have an Adam LaRoche or Lyle Overbay on the team in 2012.

I highly doubt Guthrie would accept arbitration, and if he continues to pitch the way he is right now, he'll be a type A free agent, so I don't think there's a huge press to trade him. I feel more comfortable with his abilities now to assume he'll stay consistent enough to merit compensation, though the comp. rules could change in the new CBA.

Basically, if they can't get a return comparable to Alonso + Boxberger or better, I'm okay with letting him walk. Don't see an extension getting worked out that makes any sense.

I highly doubt Guthrie would accept arbitration, and if he continues to pitch the way he is right now, he'll be a type A free agent, so I don't think there's a huge press to trade him. I feel more comfortable with his abilities now to assume he'll stay consistent enough to merit compensation, though the comp. rules could change in the new CBA.

Basically, if they can't get a return comparable to Alonso + Boxberger or better, I'm okay with letting him walk. Don't see an extension getting worked out that makes any sense.

Why isn't it possible an extension could be worked out?

Why do they suddenly need a veteran starter this year?

Last time I looked, they were second to last(in the NL) in starters ERA and IP.

They have 2 teams in front of them and their offense has been very good...Clearly starting pitching is their #1 issue.

Last time I looked, they were second to last(in the NL) in starters ERA and IP.

They have 2 teams in front of them and their offense has been very good...Clearly starting pitching is their #1 issue.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure a team of their caliber's goal isn't to just make the playoffs, but to build on last year and win the damn thing. Who saw the Giants winning last year? Guthrie is the kind of guy, in the NL, that could make a huge difference on the right team in the right scenario.

Why? Why wouldn't you try to keep your most steady starter around the young guns?

Sorry Eddie ...But continuing to build for the future is the smartest course. The Orioles need a long term MLB 1B, & 2B. I'm not sure Alonso is the answer...But if they can get that guy for Guthrie you gotta deal. They need to deal any of Guthrie, Vlad, Koji, Gregg, and whatever other bullpen arm they can get possible solutions for the future. The Orioles cant win with the offense they have put on the field this year. There is no reason to believe they will go all in for Fielder. Lee isnt the answer. Guthrie can be replaced from within in time for us to compete. They need to approach the deadline like they are going to fix the team long term. I like Guthrie and enjoy watching him pitch ...But this is the best possible course

Sorry Eddie ...But continuing to build for the future is the smartest course. The Orioles need a long term MLB 1B, & 2B. I'm not sure Alonso is the answer...But if they can get that guy for Guthrie you gotta deal. They need to deal any of Guthrie, Vlad, Koji, Gregg, and whatever other bullpen arm they can get possible solutions for the future. The Orioles cant win with the offense they have put on the field this year. There is no reason to believe they will go all in for Fielder. Lee isnt the answer. Guthrie can be replaced from within in time for us to compete. They need to approach the deadline like they are going to fix the team long term. I like Guthrie and enjoy watching him pitch ...But this is the best possible course

When do you plan on competing? 2015? You never have to give up your best pitcher.

When do you plan on competing? 2015? You never have to give up your best pitcher.

To hope to compete at all requires you to be nimble and fluid. Stuff happens, prospects you were counting on don't pan out, veterans you paid didn't live up to expectations, etc. That "date" of wanting to contend is based on when things click and go the right way, and a pre-requisite is making sound decisions to allow for more of an opportunity for that to happen.

Unfortunately, trading Guthrie is a necessity at this point. Additionally, not signing expensive relievers is also an important component to this. That money can be far better spent.

Even if things clicked in the next year or two and everything went right, it would still be a small window to make a run because we don't have a farm full of talent waiting to step in when injuries occur, players stop producing, etc. We're starting to replenish our farm slowly but surely, but we need to do a far better job of it, and trading some of the few valuable chips we have is absolutely necessary. Scott should have been traded too, but this organization continues to be terribly short sighted.

To hope to compete at all requires you to be nimble and fluid. Stuff happens, prospects you were counting on don't pan out, veterans you paid didn't live up to expectations, etc. That "date" of wanting to contend is based on when things click and go the right way, and a pre-requisite is making sound decisions to allow for more of an opportunity for that to happen. Unfortunately, trading Guthrie is a necessity at this point.

A necessity? You are trading your most reliable pitcher with no in house option to replace him, that is a necessity? How are we better giving up a proven pitcher for a bat that may or may not pan out and no pitcher to replace Guthrie?

Archived