Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

I didnt say he was Guthrie ...Without looking at a list of available guys I came up with a name you could sign to be a backend starter to justify trading Guthrie for Alonsoor some comparable and a couple other players.

Marquis would be a 5.00+ ERA with a 1.40-1.50 WHIP in the AL East. That is NOT a suitable replacement. At all.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd trade Guthrie in a heartbeat if we could get a legitimate elite first base prospect like Paul Goldschmidt in return. No disrespect to Yonder, but Alonso is not that. If we're going to basically take a flier on someone to be our first baseman next year, why not keep Guthrie and sign some former top prospects to minor league deals and hope one of them is the next Carlos Pena?

Basically, is Alonso + FA back-of-the-rotation guy really any better long-term or short-term than Guthrie + Josh Fields/Andy Marte/Josh Whitesell/etc.? I don't think so, personally. Guts is worth keeping around for a little longer in my opinion. It's not going to be easy to replace what he brings to the team.

Anyway, this is all a moot point anyway. We can't trade Guthrie at the deadline this year because we're gonna need him to pitch for us in the World Series...

Alonso is better than the guys you mentioned because he still has potential. Guthrie should be traded while he still has value. There's no way it's a good idea to extend him for what it will take in the mid 30s. The other part is ..is the return more valuable than the supp picks? if baseball fixes that part of the draft which is clearly broke the value of those picks could drop.

Alonso is better than the guys you mentioned because he still has potential. Guthrie should be traded while he still has value. There's no way it's a good idea to extend him for what it will take in the mid 30s. The other part is ..is the return more valuable than the supp picks? if baseball fixes that part of the draft which is clearly broke the value of those picks could drop.

The CBA is a good point, as it expires on December 11th and the new one could revamp the compensation rules. I kind of doubt any changes would apply retroactively, but you never know. If they eliminate compensation, which is on the table, the calculus on pending free agents swings much more towards trading.

The CBA is a good point, as it expires on December 11th and the new one could revamp the compensation rules. I kind of doubt any changes would apply retroactively, but you never know. If they eliminate compensation, which is on the table, the calculus on pending free agents swings much more towards trading.

I agree...I'd like to see them allow comp picks...just limit them.

I agree...I'd like to see them allow comp picks...just limit them.

The Orioles have a habit of not taking advantage of the system in place and then whining about it. This team was a cash cow and then got money scared so they complain about the RS and NYY payrolls. Then Tampa gets good cheap and through the draft and we end up with 2 picks to their 8 and now THAT'S unfair.

The Orioles have a habit of not taking advantage of the system in place and then whining about it. This team was a cash cow and then got money scared so they complain about the RS and NYY payrolls. Then Tampa gets good cheap and through the draft and we end up with 2 picks to their 8 and now THAT'S unfair.

There is no way a good team should have more picks then bad ones. Then it can never be equalled out.

I'd trade Guthrie in a heartbeat if we could get a legitimate elite first base prospect like Paul Goldschmidt in return. No disrespect to Yonder, but Alonso is not that. If we're going to basically take a flier on someone to be our first baseman next year, why not keep Guthrie and sign some former top prospects to minor league deals and hope one of them is the next Carlos Pena?

Basically, is Alonso + FA back-of-the-rotation guy really any better long-term or short-term than Guthrie + Josh Fields/Andy Marte/Josh Whitesell/etc.? I don't think so, personally. Guts is worth keeping around for a little longer in my opinion. It's not going to be easy to replace what he brings to the team.

Anyway, this is all a moot point anyway. We can't trade Guthrie at the deadline this year because we're gonna need him to pitch for us in the World Series...

I'd like to pat myself on the back for this one :) Loved his hit/power combo when others considered him an old strikeout-prone bat last year. Dude can hit. I was pulling for him to be included in the Reynolds deal, which would have made my offseason.

It's nice to hit after so many misses :)

• 5 months later...

Archived