Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

I feel like you misunderstood my post. My point is, nobody would trade Alonso for Guthrie if we already had Alonso and the Reds had Guthrie...therefore we should trade Guthrie for him. Just trying to give a new perspective to overcome the "overvaluing your own players" syndrome.

I think if we were Reds fans our take would be something along the lines of:

- Guthrie has been much better than his W/L record, which is pretty bad

- That gives us a leg up

- Let's see if we can get him for someone other than Alonso, like Cozart.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if we were Reds fans our take would be something along the lines of:

- Guthrie has been much better than his W/L record, which is pretty bad

- That gives us a leg up

- Let's see if we can get him for someone other than Alonso, like Cozart.

Well, I think it does make sense for the Reds.

You do realize that if those young players don't pan out that whatever Guthrie does is meaningless,right?

And the players you get for Guthrie will help out how?, for Peter Angelos' checkbook? We have spent years trying to get a good crop of talent to build around and now you are worried it isn't enough? You need to do everything in your power to get the most out of the talent we have now and by keeping Guthrie you are keeping a consistent pitcher to build around.

If I was Cincy I would make that trade in a second unless they don't have any money.

And the players you get for Guthrie will help out how?, for Peter Angelos' checkbook? We have spent years trying to get a good crop of talent to build around and now you are worried it isn't enough? You need to do everything in your power to get the most out of the talent we have now and by keeping Guthrie you are keeping a consistent pitcher to build around.

If I was Cincy I would make that trade in a second unless they don't have any money.

Like it or not, Alonso is a legit prospect.

Let's hope Guthrie can "right the ship" and pitch well up to the deadline. I think AM will do his due dilligence and find the right haul if that's the course we're going in. I just hope we're not a couple games over .500 and he passes on the right deal so not to send the wrong message to the fan base. The goal shouldn't be to get to .500, it should be to contend as soon as possible.

Not as hard as they used to be. It's a lot harder to find good hitting than good pitching.

How many pitchers have done what Jeremy has done the last 5 years and are available?

They need a big hitter, I never denied they did.

We've likely got two pitchers that can do what Guthrie can do or better, and soon to be three.

We don't have an offensive player like Alonso in our system other than Machado nor will we have one after this draft.

Guthrie is a FA after 2012 and will want $13-15+ million per year to extend.

Now obviously it depends on how the O's are doing at the deadline that makes a Guthrie trade palatable or not...

We've likely got two pitchers that can do what Guthrie can do or better, and soon to be three.

We don't have an offensive player like Alonso in our system other than Machado nor will we have one after this draft.

Who? Enlighten me?

Alonso isn't AGone.

How many pitchers have done what Jeremy has done the last 5 years and are available?

They need a big hitter, I never denied they did.

The orioles need to move older short term players for younger long term guys. the have definate needs at 1B & 2B .... Guthrie is a player that has value in trade...You know you haveto trade value to get value. This is a really simple concept. The Orioles in a perfect world could keep Guthrie and fill the other needs elsewhere. PA & AM have given no reason to believe that they will really pay what it takes to get Fielder. So we need to replace himoutside the organization.

Well, I think it does make sense for the Reds.

Also, if this were Reds Hangout we'd have several ongoing threads about what bums Wood, Volquez, and Leake are, and how several should have been packaged for Prince Fielder a year ago before they went belly up forever and ever.

The orioles need to move older short term players for younger long term guys. the have definate needs at 1B & 2B .... Guthrie is a player that has value in trade...You know you haveto trade value to get value. This is a really simple concept. The Orioles in a perfect world could keep Guthrie and fill the other needs elsewhere. PA & AM have given no reason to believe that they will really pay what it takes to get Fielder. So we need to replace himoutside the organization.

You still don't have a legit middle of the order hitter and you have to replace Guthrie in the rotation.

I don't think Showalter came here to play around, he mentioned the lack of big contracts as an asset, at some point they have to take advantage of that.

Guthrie is a FA after 2012 and will want $13-15+ million per year to extend.

Now obviously it depends on how the O's are doing at the deadline that makes a Guthrie trade palatable or not...

I think the real argument here is that Alonso + a free agent pitcher at $10-$12M a year or so is more valuable than just keeping Guthrie through his mid-30s at $10-$15M a year.

Archived