Hardy or Reyes?

JTrea81

Which shortstop would you rather have going forward?

Jose Reyes has been on fire this year, and other than 2009, has been able to stay on the field more than JJ Hardy in the past 5 seasons. However Reyes won't come cheap - likely recieving a contract around 6/90-6/102 or more.

JJ Hardy will cost less to extend, but he's played a maximum of 151 games once and is on pace to only play 90 games this season, so you will likely have a backup IFer getting 50-60 games at SS.

Hardy has been the better defender with a career 10.8 UZR/150 at the position. Reyes has a career 2.8 mark. However this season Hardy is at 5.2 while Reyes is at 3.8 UZR/150 thus far.

Reyes however is a dynamic threat on the basepaths and has a better bat than JJ Hardy. He could be the replacement to Brian Roberts at the leadoff spot.

Either could move to 2B to replace Brian Roberts after 2013 to make room for Manny Machado, but Reyes clearly has more experience there and did well defensively at the position.

So given those scenarios, which player would you rather have?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jose Reyes has been on fire this year, and other than 2009, has been able to stay on the field more than JJ Hardy. However Reyes won't come cheap - likely recieving a contract around 6/90-6/102 or more.

JJ Hardy will cost less to extend, but he's played a maximum of 151 games once and is on pace to only play 90 games this season, so you will likely have a backup IFer getting 50-60 games at SS.

Hardy has been the better defender with a career 10.8 UZR/150 at the position. Reyes has a career 2.8 mark. However this season Hardy is at 5.2 while Reyes is at 3.8 UZR/150 thus far.

Reyes however is a dynamic threat on the basepaths and has a better bat than JJ Hardy. He could be the replacement to Brian Roberts at the leadoff spot.

Either could move to 2B to replace Brian Roberts after 2013 to make room for Manny Machado, but Reyes clearly has more experience there and did well defensively at the position.

Yes 9 more games per season on average. Whoop de doo.

Jose Reyes has been on fire this year, and other than 2009, has been able to stay on the field more than JJ Hardy. However Reyes won't come cheap - likely recieving a contract around 6/90-6/102 or more.

Cant we have both? ;)

Cant we have both? ;)

I was thinking this as well. I think our infield looks a lot better if we can get Machado over to third. We don't have a true Third Baseman. Reynolds? Eek. Two years from now, I'd like to see Machado and JJ Hardy on the left side of the infield and move Reyes over to 2nd. Then we'd just need to sign Fielder and we'd have a great IF(minus 1b defense). I'd much rather see us keep Hardy and lose Reynolds and his mediocre defense, awful offense, and good power.

I love BRob like the next guy, but I'm worried about his long-term health and am not sure that he'll be able to lay baseball again, to be honest. Signing Reyes and Fielder would be a coup! I just don't see it happening (though the sign the bats part of the equation this would make ~ Yoda).

I think if Roberts is done, Reyes would be the choice. However if they signed Reyes it would eliminate any chance at getting Prince to play 1B.

That being said would you rather have a chance at Hardy and Prince, or would you rather have Reyes and an Overbay type?

Actually I was thinking that we could have one or the other play 2B with a complimentary guy as Utility IF role. Hardy doesnt come off to me as a guy that would put up a fuss if he was moved to 2B. I agree that Reynolds couldeventually be moved to DH if we keep him around.

I think if Roberts is done, Reyes would be the choice. However if they signed Reyes it would eliminate any chance at getting Prince to play 1B.

That being said would you rather have a chance at Hardy and Prince, or would you rather have Reyes and an Overbay type?

I hear what your saying ...But I'll believe they are willing to pay Fielder when I see it...Heck they might be too cheap to sign Reyes.

In a vacuum, I would pick Reyes.

Who is the better fit for the Orioles given our future payroll and offensive needs? I think Hardy. I'm not willing to give Reyes the long term contract at $15M per which he will possibly receive.

I hear what your saying ...But I'll believe they are willing to pay Fielder when I see it...Heck they might be too cheap to sign Reyes.

I do not think they will go after either Reyes or Prince, but for the sake of Jtrea's OP I was just throwing a possibilty out there.

So I will agree with you on this one. Until they go out and land a high profile free agent I will remain a little skeptical.

I think we can have both.

I'd certainly rather have Reyes over Fielder. But I would extend Hardy first, if I could.

I think we can have both.

I do not disagree that they could, but I just do not think they will spend like that.

You have to take them at face value when they said they over-spent this off-season, and thus meaning we are not going to bring in the high profile players.

Archived