Markakis Max Return

mrbraswel3

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're fine paying $25 million a season for a guy that has been worth less rWAR, coming into this season, than the guy you don't want to pay $14 million a season for.

Do you really not see the issue with that?

Fielder has 6.0+ WAR potential still while Markakis is what he is.

I've been somewhat on board with you on this thread but this is a pretty unfair statement. Fielder is gushing with potential but Markakis simply "is what he is".

Is there no chance in your mind that Markakis could revert back to his pre-2009 self? Is there no chance in your mind that Fielder could get a big contract, get fat(ter) and be a sunk cost by the time he's 32?

These are things I don't think you often consider when you write your posts.

I dont get your point! I wasn't being accusatory ...I was just wondering out loud if he might have. Second you don't know the answer for sure anymore than I do.

You wrote PHD instead of PED. I was making a joke that Nick's woes are due to the fact that he's perusing a doctorate. Wasn't being serious at all.

In addition there is NO WAY ...Fielder comes here and his power drops in the toilet. He's a masher ... The Orioles need a masher...Its funny that everyone here criticizes Trea for wanting Fielder ...But no one ever has a idea for a alternative.

I personally want Fielder here...I think theres about a chance of getting a glass of ice water in hell that the Orioles actually follow through and get him. So we will continue on next year with no cleanup hitter. We complain about Nicks power loss ...But theres never lineup protection that forces teams to throw him more heaters.

You wrote PHD instead of PED. I was making a joke that Nick's woes are due to the fact that he's perusing a doctorate. Wasn't being serious at all.

Oh OK sorry .... Just trying to come up with answers ...Its rather said that he's not driving the ball.

In addition there is NO WAY ...Fielder comes here and his power drops in the toilet. He's a masher ... The Orioles need a masher...Its funny that everyone here criticizes Trea for wanting Fielder ...But no one ever has a idea for a alternative.

I personally want Fielder here...I think theres about a chance of getting a glass of ice water in hell that the Orioles actually follow through and get him. So we will continue on next year with no cleanup hitter. We complain about Nicks power loss ...But theres never lineup protection that forces teams to throw him more heaters.

I thonk a lot of people want Fielder, just not for more than 5 years and 100M. That's what he will probably provide worth of production.

I dont get your point! I wasn't being accusatory ...I was just wondering out loud if he might have. Second you don't know the answer for sure anymore than I do.
Dude, you wrote "PHDs" instead of "PEDs".

Oh that's much better. You want to pay $25 million a season for potential.:rolleyes: It's a simple question really, coming into this season has Markakis been worth more than Fielder in rWAR? Everyone knows it's true, even though you skate around the issue or spin it. That being said, since those numbers are true, how can Fielder be worth $25 million per year if Markakis (who's been more valuable) isn't worth $14 million per year?

I don't think there's a lot of people that have an issue with getting Fielder. They just don't think he's worth the contract he'll be seeking, length or money wise.

Exactly this.

Markakis isn't as bad as he's been' date=' he's a .290 barely 800 OPS player. Slightly above average.

Is he robbing the O's with that salary? Yes, but as you can see all the people running to his defense, he's a fan favorite. So it makes the contract not as bad.

Are they getting the perennial 900+ OPS player they thought they were getting when they gave him 66M, no way.

I have no idea why he gets a free pass when PEDs are concerned. [b']That is the only explanation for the complete power decline.[/b]

No, and that's a really...bad...thing to write.

Can we please hold off worrying about Cecil Fielder until the fall? There's a baseball season currently being played now, you know. I open up a Markakis thread, and it's turned into yet another thread where people debate how much to overpay an overweight first baseman.

I don't think there's a lot of people that have an issue with getting Fielder. They just don't think he's worth the contract he'll be seeking, length or money wise.

How many free agents are worth the contracts...Honestly its the cost of doing business. If you want a star player you pay star dollars or some other team will. I agree that the back end of the deal wont be worth the per year take. But they need to take a chance somewhere. They've passed on the last few star 1B type guys they are in desperate need of a feared hitter and have been seen Palmeiro left the 1st time. We cant seem to produce our own...the genious running the team said "grow the arms" and "Buy the Bats" . Its time he puts the money where his mouth is! In Nick's case since this is a Nick thread I will say he's lately not worth the money he's raking in. He needs to start driving the ball cause thats what he is getting paid all that money to do.

Can we please hold off worrying about Cecil Fielder until the fall? There's a baseball season currently being played now, you know. I open up a Markakis thread, and it's turned into yet another thread where people debate how much to overpay an overweight first baseman.

I have no interest in the team siging Cecil Fieldernow or later LOL. Prince on the other hand can wait until the fall ;)

Archived