Markakis Max Return

mrbraswel3

I still have a nagging thought in my head that won't go away about why the league has seen run levels fall, and whether or not that root cause is linear in its application across all types of batters. In other words, maybe letting a bit of helium out of the ball somehow effects guys with mid-range power more than anyone else.
When did they say he had a cyst? I hadn't heard that. That could very well be a cause.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think you can just say he's had 2 bad months, there are three year trends that indicate something more than that. At this point maybe it rights itself, but the early season slimps have become more protracted and the power numbers are down each year since '08. I used to think Nick was the second coming of Stan Musial. Then I downgraded to Paul Oneill. Now I'm worried he really is Ben Grieve.

It sounds more like you have an issue of inflated expectations. Look you may be right, he may be Ben Grieve but I just don't think so. I think Paul O'Neill is a very reasonable comp. My only point is that there are three year trends all across baseball showing a reduction of power/OPS/SLG.

I still have a nagging thought in my head that won't go away about why the league has seen run levels fall, and whether or not that root cause is linear in its application across all types of batters. In other words, maybe letting a bit of helium out of the ball somehow effects guys with mid-range power more than anyone else.

That is an interesting take. It would be interesting to see if this could be somehow statistically shown that the downturn in offense has affected certain types of players moreso than others.

Yea, after hearing about that, I wonder what that is doing to his power?

It's the one thing we have to go on, so maybe we're over emphasizing the cyst. But it's a plausible cause for the issues he's having.

Wouldn't it be a heck of a thing if he got it fixed and had 75 extra base hits next year?

That is an interesting take. It would be interesting to see if this could be somehow statistically shown that the downturn in offense has affected certain types of players moreso than others.

Bill James did a bit in the 1986 or 1987 Baseball Abstract where he looked at how the 1963 redefinition of the strike zone absolutely killed guys with plate discipline, but players who swung at everything mostly went on like nothing changed.

Archived