Markakis Max Return

mrbraswel3

How many free agents are worth the contracts...Honestly its the cost of doing business. If you want a star player you pay star dollars or some other team will. I agree that the back end of the deal wont be worth the per year take. But they need to take a chance somewhere. They've passed on the last few star 1B type guys they are in desperate need of a feared hitter and have been seen Palmeiro left the 1st time. We cant seem to produce our own...the genious running the team said "grow the arms" and "Buy the Bats" . Its time he puts the money where his mouth is! In Nick's case since this is a Nick thread I will say he's lately not worth the money he's raking in. He needs to start driving the ball cause thats what he is getting paid all that money to do.

This is kind of the point. I think we disagree about what constitutes a "star player".

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we please hold off worrying about Cecil Fielder until the fall? There's a baseball season currently being played now, you know. I open up a Markakis thread, and it's turned into yet another thread where people debate how much to overpay an overweight first baseman.

Cecil Fielder ... maybe for first base coach.

Nick has definitely picked things up, and not just since the start of June.

After the game on May 13, he was at 224/284/306.

In the 33 games since then, he's at 307/359/379.

So he's been going in the right direction for over a month now. He isn't there yet. But at least he's picked it up over the past five weeks.

Oh that's much better. You want to pay $25 million a season for potential.:rolleyes: It's a simple question really, coming into this season has Markakis been worth more than Fielder in rWAR? Everyone knows it's true, even though you skate around the issue or spin it. That being said, since those numbers are true, how can Fielder be worth $25 million per year if Markakis (who's been more valuable) isn't worth $14 million per year?

Markakis stopped being valuable in 2008. Fielder hasn't. Markakis is no longer a difference maker, rather a complementary player that you can find similar production for far less.

Michael Cuddyer could equal or exceed Markakis' production for less for example, and I don't even want the guy. Ryan Ludwick could be another replacement for him as well.

Luke Scott could even outproduce Markakis if healthy.

Right, he's still a slap hitter with doubles power. That isn't going to get that OPS up there at all...

He has had month like this every season of his career even two months really. Being has though he is starting to hit I bet he ends up with similar numbers that he always ends up with. 295-310/350-390/430-480 with a OPS+ of 110-120. I admit I am disappointed with that because of my expectations for him. But I don't think you will see him be let go through waviers any time soon.

He has had month like this every season of his career even two months really. Being has though he is starting to hit I bet he ends up with similar numbers that he always ends up with. 295-310/350-390/430-480 with a OPS+ of 110-120. I admit I am disappointed with that because of my expectations for him. But I don't think you will see him be let go through waviers any time soon.

How is an 870 OPS "similar numbers that he always ends up with"? If those glasses were any more tinted, the lenses would actually be oranges. :D

How is an 870 OPS "similar numbers that he always ends up with"? If those glasses were any more tinted, the lenses would actually be oranges. :D

You really think a range of 780 to 870 is not representative of his career numbers? The low end is worse than he has ever done and BAD months every season and 2 bad months in most. I just don't believe he has lost it at his age and the type of player he is.

This is kind of the point. I think we disagree about what constitutes a "star player".

Fair enough ...But how many more wins would the Orioles have if they had Fielder instead of a underproducing Lee? How much better does it make Jones, Nick, etc. I would have been ok with Tex or A Gonz but the Orioles weren't serious enough about either to be aggressive enough to get it done.

Markakis stopped being valuable in 2008. Fielder hasn't. Markakis is no longer a difference maker, rather a complementary player that you can find similar production for far less.

Michael Cuddyer could equal or exceed Markakis' production for less for example, and I don't even want the guy. Ryan Ludwick could be another replacement for him as well.

Luke Scott could even outproduce Markakis if healthy.

Right here is THE ISSUE.

Way down here is JTrea Avoiding The Issue.

Spin it however you want, but in the same amount of seasons, coming into this year, a guy you want to waive (because you say he's overpaid) was worth more than a guy you want to pay $25 million per season.

Oh and by the way, Michael Cuddyer's highest rWAR for a season was 2.1. Ryan Ludwicks' was 4.5. Markakis bests both of them and that doesn't even take into account that they're both 32.

Spin it however you want, but in the same amount of seasons, coming into this year, a guy you want to waive (because you say he's overpaid) was worth more than a guy you want to pay $25 million per season.

Oh and by the way, Michael Cuddyer's highest rWAR for a season was 2.1. Ryan Ludwicks' was 4.5. Markakis bests both of them and that doesn't even take into account that they're both 32.

It's all about what the player is going to do forward not what they've done in the past.

Markakis is no longer a premium player while Fielder still is.

And you can get the type of production that Markakis will give you in RF via FA for a lot less than what you are paying him.

There is no FA that will give you production at 1B that Fielder can for less than what he's going to cost.

Archived