A few things

bigbird

I like Liz better.

But, I don't have a crystal ball.

That is why it is so IMPORTANT to pick a clear direction: either rebuild or contend.

You can't do both.

Because you never know which prospects will make it and which ones won't- we shouldn't be trying to guess.

Instead we should be stockpiling as many as possible to increase our chances of developing good players. Let the law of averages work in our favor.

Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, and Angels seem to be doing ok.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, and Angels seem to be doing ok.

Huh ?

What doesn that have do to with anything ?

There is no comparison between those teams and O's.

They (NY, BOS, LAA, Det) are doing fine because they have built contenders.

We are coming off 10 straight miserable seasons.

Are you advocating using the same strategy of the last 10 years ?

Damon and Melky could be dealt...Abreu moved to first or DH.

They are set unless they decide to trade Manny.

Bay is better than Lind/Johnson.

Michaels? Are you serious? Bay could really help out Cleveland.

Thames played DH and first a lot last year.

Fields is a third baseman.

Ibanez may move to first.

Everyone could be dealt. I am just going by likely senerios. Last season Lind is a future Jason Bay, and going to be Toranto Future Ofer. There is no way Manny gets traded, if there was a way then he would have been traded. Cleveland isn't looking for Offensive help, but I guess they could use Bay. Even with Thames at DH/First Detriot is set with Maybin. Fields played 21 games at LF( I was just using DeptChart on ESPN). Seattle would have to get rid of Sexson first and I don't see that happening.

Even with only 2 years left on his deal? That's the thing for me. Do we want to put ourselves in the position to have to lock him up in 2 years? Or if he has a good year next year, he becomes an issue next offseason.

If Bay gets back to normal, he can either be dealt for more than we traded for him OR he could go for draft picks, which may end up being more valuable than Reimold or DCab.

I don't think I would extend him unless we could right now for 1-2 years.

Huh ?

What doesn that have do to with anything ?

There is no comparison between those teams and O's.

They (NY, BOS, LAA, Det) are doing fine because they have built contenders.

We are coming off 10 straight miserable seasons.

Are you advocating using the same strategy of the last 10 years ?

Detriot was in the exact same shape we have been in. NY, BOS, LAA, and DET all compete and have great farm systems.

Everyone could be dealt. I am just going by likely senerios. Last season Lind is a future Jason Bay, and going to be Toranto Future Ofer. There is no way Manny gets traded, if there was a way then he would have been traded. Cleveland isn't looking for Offensive help, but I guess they could use Bay. Even with Thames at DH/First Detriot is set with Maybin. Fields played 21 games at LF( I was just using DeptChart on ESPN). Seattle would have to get rid of Sexson first and I don't see that happening.

A lot of what you say here is either not true or you are just blowing it off with no real reason behind it other than "you don't think so".

There are plenty of suitors for Bay and a team doesn't have to be a contender to trade for someone either.

If Bay gets back to normal, he can either be dealt for more than we traded for him OR he could go for draft picks, which may end up being more valuable than Reimold or DCab.

I don't think I would extend him unless we could right now for 1-2 years.

Exactly. For Cabrera/Reimold/10-20 ranked spec.

If Tejada is traded to the Cubs for Pie. Reimold wouldn't have a spot on the MLB roster with Bay in LF.

What if you trade Reimold as part of a package for Bay, Bay has a really good 1st half, then you trade Bay to a contender for a package with players better than Reimold? I'd say that is a decent possibility.

Bingo!--Flip them both this off-season.

Bingo!--Flip them both this off-season.

I guess that is a possibility.

But, I am not ready to give up on Nolan Reimold yet.

As a strategy for a rebuilding team it just doesn't make sense. It complicates things unnecessarily- To trade away prospects for a veteran for the opportunity to flip him later for someone else's prospects (the grass is always greener ??) seems to be a risky proposition.

You have just added three more layers of risk to the scenario- 1) the risk that you prematurely gave up on your prospects (Reimold for ex.) 2) the risk that the veteran will have another offseason and his value declines even further, 3) even if he is flipped the prospects that you recieve aren't as good or are farther away than the ones that you traded for the vet in the first place.

I guess I keep coming back to the idea that we have no business targeting veteran players and trading away our prospects.

I guess that is a possibility.

But, I am not ready to give up on Nolan Reimold yet.

As a strategy for a rebuilding team it just doesn't make sense. It complicates things unnecessarily- To trade away prospects for a veteran for the opportunity to flip him later for someone else's prospects (the grass is always greener ??) seems to be a risky proposition.

You have just added three more layers of risk to the scenario- 1) the risk that you prematurely gave up on your prospects (Reimold for ex.) 2) the risk that the veteran will have another offseason and his value declines even further, 3) even if he is flipped the prospects that you recieve aren't as good or are farther away than the ones that you traded for the vet in the first place.

I guess I keep coming back to the idea that we have no business targeting veteran players and trading away our prospects.

Trading Reimold doesn't mean you are giving up on him.

Archived