A few things

bigbird

I agree that Reimold and Cabrera doesn't get Bay, but if you add in Liz, then it becomes a pretty strong offer. Other teams can certainly offer two better prospects than Reimold and Liz, but not many can also add in someone as intriguing as Cabrera. I personally don't think he'll ever put it together, but maybe there is someone in the Pittsburgh organization that does. If so, his relatvie trade value becomes much higher, and maybe a package with him and 2 very good prospects would be more enticing to the Pirates than another package for 2 very good to great prospects.

Maybe that wouldn't be the best package Pittsburgh could get, but it'd certainly be one worth considering.

Would you give up all 3 for 2 years of Bay?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you give up all 3 for 2 years of Bay?
If we get a Bedard extension done first, then I think I would gamble that we could also extend Bay and pull the trigger. It does depend on the other moves though. If we unload Tejada, Hernandez, and Mora, then we've got a lot more salary space to work with, and could afford to extend Bay, Bedard, and Roberts and still have enough cash for a legit Tex run after 2008.

I still don't think we compete in 2008 without a huge jump from some of the young pitchers, but I do think we can aim for 2009 by sticking with Bedard and Roberts and going after Bay. You'd have to be prepared to offer Bay a ton of money though, like 5/$90M or so.

I still think a complete rebuild is probably the smartest plan, but I can at least see the logic in going after young(ish) established MLB stars if you can get them without mortgaging the entire future.

This team does not need Jason Bay at this point. This would be a very FOOLISH acquisition. I can't even believe the FO is considering this, there are so many other issues to address before persuing 30 year old former All Stars coming off a down year (Belle, Huff, Sosa, Cordova, Segui, Glenn Davis...the list goes on) When do we learn our lesson. REBUILD FROM WITHIN!!

This team does not need Jason Bay at this point. This would be a very FOOLISH acquisition. I can't even believe the FO is considering this' date=' there are so many other issues to address before persuing 30 year old former All Stars coming off a down year (Belle, Huff, Sosa, Cordova, Segui, Glenn Davis...the list goes on) When do we learn our lesson. REBUILD FROM WITHIN!![/quote']Wow, those comparisons might be the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

Jason Bay is closer to Albert Belle production-wise than anybody else on that list. Belle only declined because of a freak career-ending injury that nobody could have foreseen. When he was healthy, he was the best hitter the franchise has seen since probably Frank Robinson.

Bay does not have any injury problems, and he is a better player than Huff, Cordova, Segui, or Davis ever were.

He's doesn't exactly fit the mold of where the team should be going, but he's a lot more like Brian Roberts than he is like Aubrey Huff.

If we get a Bedard extension done first, then I think I would gamble that we could also extend Bay and pull the trigger. It does depend on the other moves though. If we unload Tejada, Hernandez, and Mora, then we've got a lot more salary space to work with, and could afford to extend Bay, Bedard, and Roberts and still have enough cash for a legit Tex run after 2008.

I still don't think we compete in 2008 without a huge jump from some of the young pitchers, but I do think we can aim for 2009 by sticking with Bedard and Roberts and going after Bay. You'd have to be prepared to offer Bay a ton of money though, like 5/$90M or so.

I still think a complete rebuild is probably the smartest plan, but I can at least see the logic in going after young(ish) established MLB stars if you can get them without mortgaging the entire future.

If Bay goes back to his pre-2007 production, I'd have no problems with a big extension if we were able to hang onto Bedard and Roberts. I think a guy like Bay is someone we can build around, and he fills the void we have in outfielders in the farm system.

It wasnt a comparison of talent as much as it was a comparison of scenarios
But they aren't the same scenarios. Bay is not an aging former All Star. He will be 29 years old next year and IS an All-Star. He's younger than Brian Roberts (and better, as well). He's a better player than anybody you named when we acquired them (and younger as well) except for Belle.

Trading for Bay isn't neccesarily out of line with a "go younger" approach. It can be that fabled situation of both buying and selling in an attempt to build up the system while also remainig competitive.

I bet that Bay is looking forward to getting traded out away from a team that has been a perennial loser.

But, I doubt Baltimore is his first choice. 2nd maybe, but not first. :o

Seriously, do you think he wants to be the guy a team supposedly builds around again. :confused:

Well, he wouldn't have a choice, first of all.

Secondly, he seems very happy in Pittsburgh. Maybe he's a guy that prefers a smaller town, I could see him staying Baltimore if offered a big extension. Also, you wouldn't have to resign him right away. you could wait and build up the team and then offer him the extension after some time has passed, although I agree its smarter to get him done sooner than later.

Archived