Thoughts on package O's got for Koji?

centralpaosfan

Sorry to see Koji go, but this was a good return for him. Would like to see a topnotch first base prospect, but there is no way they would have better AAA stats than Davis. Only difference is Davis has some success, and some struggles at the MLB-level. Additionally, Koji probably will retire or return to Japan at 38, and Hunter has intriguing potential if he can recover.

When you think about it that way, I really like this deal, and am intrigued to see what happens with Lee. I doubt Guthrie goes unless they get a top pitching prospect.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great deal, even if both players flame out into nothingness. Koji is old, injury prone, and on a bad team. We don't need fantastic set-up guys until we've got a decent bunch of starters. I would have traded Koji for less than what we got. Very good job.

I'm mostly pleased. I would have liked to get players that were closer to their prospect years, but we did get two players at positions of need who are young, cheap, and have had previous (though limited) success in the major leagues.

Was it Flannagan or Duquette who said that anytime you can trade a reliever for a starter you do it? I think it was said after the Kris Benson trade. I have faith it will work out a little better this time around.

Chris Davis is a player I think just needs an extended look to adjust and not be shuffled up and down levels. If he can harness his power and get on base a little more, turn into another Mark Reynolds, then this was a steal.

If not, at least we got a starter for a reliever!

• 4 years later...
Sorry to see Koji go, but this was a good return for him. Would like to see a topnotch first base prospect, but there is no way they would have better AAA stats than Davis. Only difference is Davis has some success, and some struggles at the MLB-level. Additionally, Koji probably will retire or return to Japan at 38, and Hunter has intriguing potential if he can recover.

When you think about it that way, I really like this deal, and am intrigued to see what happens with Lee. I doubt Guthrie goes unless they get a top pitching prospect.

A good return.

Archived