Rule 5 Draft

phattybeers

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do believe that is against the rules. The player has to remain on the 25 man roster the whole season. Putting him on the 60 day DL takes him off the 25 man.
I think this is wrong. Your interpretation would mean you can't DL a player that was acquired in the Rule V draft, which clearly makes no sense.

If he has a legit injury, he can be DLed, I don't see why they'd allow the 15-day DL and not the 60-day.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but it'd seem very fishy if we wouldn't be allowed to 60-day Barton (assuming he has a legit injury that would keep him out a long time, which I don't think is the case).

So put him on the 15 day DL.

An injured/not playing Barton is more valuable than another Eider Torres.

Again he's got attitude issues and that's why we stayed away from Milledge and why we'll stay away from Barton. Trembley is running things his way. I'd bet on a bullpen arm such as Fernando Hernandez coming our way.

I think this is wrong. Your interpretation would mean you can't DL a player that was acquired in the Rule V draft, which clearly makes no sense.

If he has a legit injury, he can be DLed, I don't see why they'd allow the 15-day DL and not the 60-day.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but it'd seem very fishy if we wouldn't be allowed to 60-day Barton (assuming he has a legit injury that would keep him out a long time, which I don't think is the case).

Nevermind I guess we could keep Barton on the major league DL for the season. That's interesting...

In the major league phase of the draft, which is conducted in reverse order of the previous season's win-loss records, a club must pay $50,000 to the draft pick's original team, and the player must remain on its active major league roster (or major league disabled list) for the entire ensuing season or be placed on waivers, making him available to every other big league club willing to take on the same constraints. If the player clears waivers, he must be offered back to his original team for $25,000.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060306&content_id=1336732&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

I still think we go after the bullpen arm...

Again he's got attitude issues and that's why we stayed away from Milledge and why we'll stay away from Barton. Trembley is running things his way. I'd bet on a bullpen arm such as Fernando Hernandez coming our way.

Haven't you only seen the one report about this?

The kid is incredibly smart. I doubt he is some big problem.

I for one would pity the fool who doesn't take him. He has STUD written in big bold latters across his entire body. He has an "attitude" problem because he is really, really, really f'ing good, and he knows it. I don't call that an attitude problem, I call that confidence. Or swagger. Or cockiness. Or attitude.

One thing I don't call it?

A problem.

Barton must crowd the plate he's been hit by 74 pitches in the Minor leagues. Last year alone he was hit by 30 pitches. The year before that 21, and the year before that 23.

Kind of an interesting stat if you ask me.

That's as good as a walk:D

Barton is a perfect example of low risk-high reward. If he doesn't work out for us, whether because of attitude or something else, then no big deal. If he does, he could be a huge help for the future.

And I too would be willing to pay 100k to Tampa to buy the first pick.

I agree and as we have seen with Guthrie and even John Maine :002_ssad: - A change of Scienery can do wonders for someone

I think DL time just gets tacked on to the end of how long you have to keep him on the roster. They recognize that teams could use the DL to scam the system. They don't prevent DL time, they just make it so that it doesn't work as a scam (any more than usual).

Archived