We should release Pie

Slappy

Same as Hoey, Jacobsen and Mickolio last winter.

The difference with those three is that they didn't have enough MLB time to blow the bloom off of the rose of potential. Pie has had that time in the bigs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The difference with those three is that they didn't have enough MLB time to blow the bloom off of the rose of potential. Pie has had that time in the bigs.

Pie may have once been a bud about to blossom, but then some Great Dane walked by and "watered the flower" thus killing it dead!

Why don't we just hold on to him till the end of spring training next year and try to get him past waivers? We then could send him down to Norfolk where he could play everyday.

Right now if we released him some horrible team other than us would pick him up. At the end of spring next year it would be much harder for them.

Pie is making close to $900k. In no way is it smart to bring him back.

Maybe the better option is to nontender him and offer him a MiL contract.

My guess is that right now the Os are asking wavers on Pie, as they are on Vlad, Gonzo and numerous other Os with the hopes that those who pass through wavers can then be traded up until the end of August.

In the case of Pie, if anyone does claim him, I think the Os should let them have him (not pull back the wavers) and save the 300K or so that he is due for the rest of the season. This would be a better scenario than out right releasing him because we would then need to pay him for the rest of the year. If no one claims him, I think that there would be little chance of trading him and I would have no problem with releasing him.

Non-tendering him and then offering a MiL contract makes some sense if our coaching staff feels that they can get him straightened out and back to the player we saw in 2009 playing full time in the minors. If we non-tendered him, would he have the option of going elsewhere?

I'm beyond the point of caring. If he goes he goes, and if he stays he stays. Frankly I almost hope he does get cut because I'm tired of the same debate taking place, because some of his supporters will continue to give reasons why he should stay, and his detractors will always give reasons why he shouldn't, and there's a certain contingency within that cannot nor ever will be swayed in the other direction. So for that alone, let him go and be done with it.

My guess is that right now the Os are asking wavers on Pie, as they are on Vlad, Gonzo and numerous other Os with the hopes that those who pass through wavers can then be traded up until the end of August.

In the case of Pie, if anyone does claim him, I think the Os should let them have him (not pull back the wavers) and save the 300K or so that he is due for the rest of the season. This would be a better scenario than out right releasing him because we would then need to pay him for the rest of the year. If no one claims him, I think that there would be little chance of trading him and I would have no problem with releasing him.

Non-tendering him and then offering a MiL contract makes some sense if our coaching staff feels that they can get him straightened out and back to the player we saw in 2009 playing full time in the minors. If we non-tendered him, would he have the option of going elsewhere?

Of course, if the O's decline to tender him a contract then he would be a free agent.

I "was" one of his biggest supporters here, no doubt about that. But at this point, even I feel he's taking up space for a potentially more talented player. I hope he can florish elsewhere, because he's dying a slow death here in Baltimore. If by some chance he passes through waivers, then there's always the hope he can get it together in AAA...not holding my breath on that happening, though. So, it's come to the point, that his play is so poor, that he needs to be off the roster. The O's are not paying him to be our comic relief.

I remember when a lot of us were so excited when we acquired him in '09. What the heck happened to him since then?

Same as Hoey, Jacobsen and Mickolio last winter. Their value was all zero as far as the O's were concerned. But to other teams whose first interest was to dump a salary (Hardy or Reynolds) and whose second priority was be get something, anything in return, Pie could have value. I can easily see Pie in the class with these three guys that helped the O's acquire two under 30 year old valuable players.

Yes, a player with zero trade value can net a player that another team doesn't want. If you're saying Felix Pie could be our very own Aaron Baker, then...sure. But I don't think that means a lot.

Pie has been a zero this year. Just giving us nothing. Cant field, cant steal, cant hit, cant bunt.

Frankly he should be thanking his lucky stars he got to receive a major league salary for the last three years.

Next year I dont think he is going to be getting one.

Yes, a player with zero trade value can net a player that another team doesn't want. If you're saying Felix Pie could be our very own Aaron Baker, then...sure. But I don't think that means a lot.

A lot? No it doesn't. Just enough to say that Pie shouldn't be DFA'd when the roster expands in a month and the O's are out of contention. If he remains on the roster he may be one of the few guys the O's don't want to keep that might be valued by another team.

The best thing for Pie is and has been a chance to play EVERY DAY, and that can only be accomplished at AAA. I don't know whether he could pass through waivers, but he does not belong on this current roster.

yeah, I am surprised they dont do that.

Archived