Reynolds 2nd deck

Moose Milligan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A. Mark Reynolds has played in 110 games. He made 20 errors in his first 82 games. He has made one error since then (his last 28 games). That is a dramatic improvement.

This is the game in which Reynolds committed his 20th error. It was on July 4th, more than a month ago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX201107040.shtml

B. Just as you have been, I've been watching the Orioles all season long. I'd like to see Mark Reynolds' highlight reel of spectacular plays that he made in those first 82 games. It's not likely that it is on par percentage-wise with those that he has made in the last 5 weeks, in which he has committed only one error.

The statistics of a players' errors can "lie" to an extent, but they don't lie that much.

I guess I'll put it this way. If you want to say that he dramatically cut down his errors in his last 28 games, well yeah, thats true. I am not of the mind that errors are the best way to gauge true fielding ability. Derek Jeter has 7 errors on the season, do you think he's a good fielder?

As far as the highlight reel, are you sure you are watching the games? Are you honestly suggesting that Reynolds made a larger amount of spectacular plays in 28 games, than he did in the previous 82? Just go to mlb.com and watch some of Reynolds plays at third, hes made spectacular plays there when he wasn't having to charge the ball. You are right about one thing in your post, the amount of errors has been a great improvement. You are pretty much wrong in everything else.

I guess I'll put it this way. If you want to say that he dramatically cut down his errors in his last 28 games, well yeah, thats true. I am not of the mind that errors are the best way to gauge true fielding ability. Derek Jeter has 7 errors on the season, do you think he's a good fielder?

As far as the highlight reel, are you sure you are watching the games? Are you honestly suggesting that Reynolds made a larger amount of spectacular plays in 28 games, than he did in the previous 82 ?

Just go to mlb.com and watch some of Reynolds plays at third, hes made spectacular plays there when he wasn't having to charge the ball. You are right about one thing in your post, the amount of errors has been a great improvement. You are pretty much wrong in everything else.

Just as I did with the errors, the comparisons need to be adjusted for the amount of games that he played in. In other words, I didn't simply leave it at 20 errors to 1 error. The ratio is closer to 20 to 3 than to 20 to 1, because he played in nearly three times as many games when he made the 20 errors as when he made the 1 error ...........

.P.S. To be fair, those 20 errors that Reynolds made should be broken down percentage-wise when being compared to the one error that he has made since. So it isn't a 20-1 ratio that has been the difference. It's more like a 20-3 ratio. Still, that is a dramatic improvement over the last five weeks (28 games).

So yes, I do believe that he has made more spectacular/exceptional plays percentage-wise in the last 28 games as he did in the first 82 games. For example, if he made 20 spectacular/exceptional plays in those first 82 games, and he made 10 spectacular plays in those 28 games, then he is indeed making more exceptional plays on a regular basis in the 28 game-span than he was making in the 82-game span.

Just as I did with the errors, the comparisons need to be adjusted for the amount of games that he played in. In other words, I didn't simply leave it at 20 errors to 1 error. The ratio is closer to 20 to 3 than to 20 to 1, because he played in nearly three times as many games when he made the 20 errors as when he made the 1 error ...........

So yes, I do believe that he has made more spectacular/exceptional plays percentage-wise in the last 28 games as he did in the first 82 games. For example, if he made 20 spectacular/exceptional plays in those first 82 games, and he made 10 spectacular plays in those 28 games, then he is indeed making more exceptional plays on a regular basis in the 28 game-span than he was making in the 82-game span.

That's a wacky logic though isn't it? A hypothetical for instance is saying a player who has 20 home runs in 400 at bats as a first baseman but 5 home runs in 50 at bats as a DH would be a vastly better DH because his HR % is much greater. You can break anything down into a small sample to enforce an argument. The other thing to consider is that Reynolds through his career has not been historically bad with the glove at 3rd and he's starting to get back to the mean.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Judging from the camera angle on the first one I thought that was going to keep traveling back, and that was pretty far back. That was one of the biggest blasts I've ever seen at Camden Yards, regardless of where it was hit to. Nobody has ever made it to the upper deck, and everything has to go write, from a physics standpoint, to do. But, if anybody can do it, Mark Reynolds can.

Judging from the camera angle on the first one I thought that was going to keep traveling back, and that was pretty far back. That was one of the biggest blasts I've ever seen at Camden Yards, regardless of where it was hit to. Nobody has ever made it to the upper deck, and everything has to go write, from a physics standpoint, to do. But, if anybody can do it, Mark Reynolds can.

It just dawned on me (what else is new). :rolleyes::o It's pretty ironic that our ballpark, which is known as a bandbox to to hit a lot of home runs in also happens to be nearly impossible to hit the upper deck with. Much has been made of the fact that nobody ever hit a home run out of the 3 Yankee Stadiums (with the possible exception of Josh Gibson, who allegedly did so in a Negro League game), but I've seen a good number of upper deck shots hit there by both Yankee players and Yankee opponents.

Rex Who? Maybe Rex Barney hit it out there because that Rex, besides T-Rex, was a replacement sort of player. Makes me wonder where he bought his vitamins.

Oh and by the way, HR Derby's and batting practice don't count.

I remember some of the shot's at Memorial Stadium. One off Palmer caused a Thunderstorm.

Don't forget Eric Davis, then with Detroit, hitting a Arthur Rhodes pitch 452 feet off the ivy wall at Oriole Park for a HR. I had moved from my normal seats to the seats in LF that allow you to look into the bullpen. Davis crushed a ball off the wall. I had a great view watching the ball sail over the CF wall and hit the ivy wall. This one usually gets overlooked.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-09-27/sports/1993270141_1_outfield-tigers-run-hit

In addition to almost eliminating the errors, he's made a bunch of exceptional plays that would (likely) not have been considered errors had he not made them.

I do not think Reynolds is playing great defense lately, though he certainly is making fewer errrors, which is good. His UZR at 3B now stands at -20.2. He was at -18.5 as of July 5. UZR is not that reliable in a small sample size, but certainly nothing there suggests Reynolds has been playing great defense.

Archived