Do you think Peter Angelos Owes the Fans Answers?

Greg Pappas

You must have not been paying attention to him...Did you ever read his quote after Oswalt got his contract? Talking about how crazy it was and that was what, 70ish million?

I don't recall the contract. Maybe it was a crazy contract at the time. Did he say, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money, Id prefer to leave it to my grandkids or did he say it in a way that he thought it was a bad business move? There is a distinct difference. I am not saying he is right. Im saying there is no proof that his master plan is to suck every dime he can out of the team and wins mean nothing to him. I would think that he is smart enough to know that a winning team and sold out games ( which he was involved in for a while) adds to profits. So the I don't care if we win, flys in the face of reason.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know its not how it works...But it should work that way.

If someone was unhappy with my store and product, I would expect them to tell me about it and I would do something about it.

I believe you would, within reason. But that is assuming he knows HOW to fix it. I'm just further into the camp that thinks he isn't intentionally screwing things up based on money. It is more a lack of ability.

I don't know if he owes it to us but I do know he has done himself and more importantly this franchise a terrible disservice with his lack of communication. Maybe it was because of the heat he took after Davey and Gillick left he decided to stay in the background, who knows. Biscotti doesn't talk to the media much if ever but you know he is around. I can't believe how some of the players have never even met the man and in previous years he never even bothered to have any relationship with his managers, although all reports are he does meet with Buck alot.

Whether he or the organization realize it or not or even care, I think if he made more public appearances it would look alot better. When someone is never around people wonder whether or not the person cares? I don't see how it wouldn't be beneficial to be around his team more often and also talk to the fans who have had to endure this garbage for 14 years. I am not saying it would change anything but it certainly wouldn't hurt his image.

I don't recall the contract. Maybe it was a crazy contract at the time. Did he say, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money, Id prefer to leave it to my grandkids or did he say it in a way that he thought it was a bad business move? There is a distinct difference. I am not saying he is right. Im saying there is no proof that his master plan is to suck every dime he can out of the team and wins mean nothing to him. I would think that he is smart enough to know that a winning team and sold out games ( which he was involved in for a while) adds to profits. So the I don't care if we win, flys in the face of reason.
Yes, he thought it was a poor contract...He probably doesn't know who Oswalt is, just that he got paid a lot of money.

I swear, I really think people just totally forget who Angelos is, what he has said and what he has done to this organization.

Wait, so he has a chance to make money and you find falut in that? Be serious.

Not to be condescending, but your response makes me think that you're not familiar with the MASN deal itself and how it went down.

You realize that if PA ever sells the Orioles, he can just keep MASN? There's no guarantee that MASN will be be a long term Orioles asset. I'm not a believer in the Trea theory of MASN Money Mountains, but it's definitely a big money maker for PA.

Regardless, I don't understand how anyone can defend Angelos at this point--it baffles me.

Not to be condescending, but your response makes me think that you're not familiar with the MASN deal itself and how it went down.

You realize that if PA ever sells the Orioles, he can just keep MASN? There's no guarantee that MASN will be be a long term Orioles asset. I'm not a believer in the Trea theory of MASN Money Mountains, but it's definitely a big money maker for PA.

Regardless, I don't understand how anyone can defend Angelos at this point--it baffles me.

I understand the deal. It was a very smart move. I have no problem with it. If you were him, you'd have been foolish to do otherwise. It should be taught in business schools. I am not defending him. I disagree with the PA is the devil theroy, as if he wants he Orioles to stink.

I understand the deal. It was a very smart move. I have no problem with it. If you were him, you'd have been foolish to do otherwise. It should be taught in business schools. I am not defending him. I disagree with the PA is the devil theroy, as if he wants he Orioles to stink.

Again, I think you misunderstood me. Of course it was a shrewd move. That's my point. In your response to my initial post you said that you don't think PA is all about the bottom line; I responded by saying the calculating nature behind the MASN deal seems to contradict that notion.

No where do I say PA wants the Orioles to sink, but winning is nowhere near his number one priority. He wants to make a profit. That's it.

As a human being Angelos is in all likelihood a pretty good guy--his philanthropy has been well documented. However, in terms of business and baseball, he is the reason that the Orioles are where they are. This is undeniable.

No where do I say PA wants the Orioles to sink, but winning is nowhere near his number one priority. He wants to make a profit. That's it.

I think most major sports teams try to come pretty close to breaking even annually. That way they have almost no profits to tax. I'm certainly no accountant, but this is what I've heard, and it seems to make sense to a layman. The owners usually make their money on the long-term appreciation of the franchise value.

I think most major sports teams try to come pretty close to breaking even annually. That way they have almost no profits to tax. I'm certainly no accountant, but this is what I've heard, and it seems to make sense to a layman. The owners usually make their money on the long-term appreciation of the franchise value.

I think this is true of most large corporations, correct? Isn't this how Zuckerberg is making his money?

How much more money do you think the Rays make now vs when they were terrible? Maybe PA realizes 90 wins or 60 wins, he will make about the same amount of money.

I think that's a terrible example. The Rays have a bad ballpark that's apparently very hard to get to and they're a franchise with no real history outside of the last five years.

I have to think the difference between the O's losing 90 or 100 games every year, and the O's winning 90 or 100 games every year is at least (2M fans X $50) or $100M. Of course that's not all profit, much of it would go back into the organization. But the long-term value of the team would skyrocket.

I swear, I really think people just totally forget who Angelos is, what he has said and what he has done to this organization.

If someone is an Orioles fan and he doesn't dislike Angelos' ownership then you mustn't care a bit about winning baseball games. No matter his intentions, his stewardship of the franchise, his hirings, his decisions, have turned a team from a competitive organization that drew nearly 4M fans a year to sparsely attended laughingstock with no relevance to the rest of the league except in a Kansas City A's manner (solely a source of easy wins and players being flipped at the deadline).

I think that's a terrible example. The Rays have a bad ballpark that's apparently very hard to get to and they're a franchise with no real history outside of the last five years.

I have to think the difference between the O's losing 90 or 100 games every year, and the O's winning 90 or 100 games every year is at least (2M fans X $50) or $100M. Of course that's not all profit, much of it would go back into the organization. But the long-term value of the team would skyrocket.

Where are you getting the $50 figure from? I'm guessing concessions plus ticket price? I'm not trying to disagree with you, just interested in your math. If anything I think you're a bit conservative. A 90-100 win ballclub increases your merchandise sales, your television ratings, etc.

Where are you getting the $50 figure from? I'm guessing concessions plus ticket price? I'm not trying to disagree with you, just interested in your math. If anything I think you're a bit conservative. A 90-100 win ballclub increases your merchandise sales, your television ratings, etc.

Reasonably conservative round number swag.

Archived