Felix Pie DFA'd!!!!!!!!!!!

AJismyhero

It had been discussed in previous threads that a defensive, high average base stealer is what the Orioles need at leadoff in the event that Brian Roberts is cooked. With his power, Jones should be moved to LF and Angle put in CF. I think this makes a ton of sense.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It had been discussed in previous threads that a defensive, high average base stealer is what the Orioles need at leadoff in the event that Brian Roberts is cooked. With his power, Jones should be moved to LF and Angle put in CF. I think this makes a ton of sense.

I think we all know that will not happen. They see Jones as the franchise CF. I personally think Jones is gone in 2 years, but we'll see.

Do you think Angle can get on base enough? I have serious doubts that he can.

I personally don't think moving arguably your strongest OF arm to LF to put your weakest OF arm in CF would really be a good idea, but I understand why people want to do it.

I see nothing in Angle's minor league stats to suggest that he will be a Major League regular, let alone a leadoff hitter. Why would you want to put your worst hitter at leadoff, ensuring him the most plate appearances?

No, he got sporadic playing time and limited opportunities to showcase his skills. I still think he has a chance to be a productive 4th OF'er, something like 725-.750 OPS and good defense in center, which I think is his natural position. Does anyone on this team try to steal? He's got nobody to teach him in my opinion. He's faster than anyone on the team, but he isn't harnessing his abilities. Hit to contact more, shorten the swing, don't swing out of your shoes, and play smart. He's got good bat-speed too, and he seems to be a whipping boy. Reimold isn't fairing much better. Why not call for his head too?

Felix Pie is not the reason why we're the worst team in the AL. I understand why he was DFA'ed, I really do. It's not that, it's what I see as a celebratory nature of some posts that bothers me.

Pie may not be THE REASON the Orioles are so bad, but he is just one of the many. I think he is one of those guys who just will not put it all together. He has physical attributes but they seem to be wasted with him.

I would think the celebratory nature of some posts is becuz the guy was a non contributor. Its a sign of frustration from fans who have watched pretty much an entire team of individuals who have under performed this season. If some others got axed you would see the same response. Gonzo, Gregg, etc.

Reimold can go with Pie and we wouldn't be any worse than we already are. Reimold hasn't done much with his opportunities either.

With Pie, all that will be missed is his "potential." And it wasn't happening.

Do you think Angle can get on base enough? I have serious doubts that he can.

I have doubts that he will hit the ball with enough authority to put up a high BA and draw walks. Just look at early season Brian Roberts for an example of that. Having a good approach at the plate is great but you have to give pitchers a reason not to throw you strikes.

He just could never get past not having Crow around and the absence of Luke Scott may have effected him as well, since they were so close.

Could be those things, But it could be that he just wasnt a good baseball player. The Cubs realized it three years ago when they gave hin away for nothing. But the Orioles do always seem to be way behind the learning curve.

If Matt Angle manages to stick in the majors, I will eat a fitted New Era O's cap. Any size.

Define "stick". I think it is within the realm of reason he plays as a 5th outfielder for a few years. Pinch runner/defensive replacement type.

I have doubts that he will hit the ball with enough authority to put up a high BA and draw walks. Just look at early season Brian Roberts for an example of that. Having a good approach at the plate is great but you have to give pitchers a reason not to throw you strikes.

That is exactly the concern I have.

Could be those things, But it could be that he just wasnt a good baseball player. The Cubs realized it three years ago when they gave hin away for nothing. But the Orioles do always seem to be way behind the learning curve.
Pie came here, worked on his game and proved that he could be a valuable player.

But he got hurt too much and just didn't continue his development that started 2 years ago.

No, he got sporadic playing time and limited opportunities to showcase his skills. I still think he has a chance to be a productive 4th OF'er, something like 725-.750 OPS and good defense in center, which I think is his natural position. Does anyone on this team try to steal? He's got nobody to teach him in my opinion. He's faster than anyone on the team, but he isn't harnessing his abilities. Hit to contact more, shorten the swing, don't swing out of your shoes, and play smart. He's got good bat-speed too, and he seems to be a whipping boy. Reimold isn't fairing much better. Why not call for his head too?

Felix Pie is not the reason why we're the worst team in the AL. I understand why he was DFA'ed, I really do. It's not that, it's what I see as a celebratory nature of some posts that bothers me.

Yeah there does seem a touch of glee in the fact an Oriole player has failed. The failure of Pie is a clear indictment of the entire organization. The fact that there are still jobs available at most positions on the Orioles with no one stepping up and taking charge should have everyone upset. So Pie is removed but who takes his place? That should be the focus. If tradition holds it's own Pie will go to another organization and put up good numbers. I can remember Mike Deveraux. He was a good player in every uniform except the Orioles. Just my thoughts................. Oh and I hope Pie does not clear waivers or he turns down the demotion to Norfolk. He is done as an Oriole.

Archived