True or false: Justin Verlander should win AL MVP

Sports Guy

True or False: Verlander should win AL MVP?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. True or False: Verlander should win AL MVP?

I voted yes with this caveat. He shouldn't be ruled out simply because he'll likely win the Cy Ypung. He's a major reason his team is heading to the playoffs... The very definition of most valuable player.

Now whether he should win or one of the other candidates I don't know. But Verlander should definitely be in the running.

It should be either Ellsbury or Bautista. You could even make the argument that Sabathia is having a better year than Verlander.

People are just infatuated with his win total.

I'm not uinfatuated with his win total. I just don't think there is a more valuable player to his team than Verlander although I would agree CC is really close. They have the same WAR.

I'm not uinfatuated with his win total. I just don't think there is a more valuable player to his team than Verlander although I would agree CC is really close. They have the same WAR.

Yeah, I was curious what your reasoning would be when I saw you voted yes since your not a Joe Morgan. I guess I just think it should go to the best player regardless. That's either Ellsbury or Bautista. It's very possible that Boston would be 2-3 games behind Tampa if Ellsbury wasn't having such a monster year.

And there are several position players with WAR that is higher.

Ironically, I think the Tigers' recent winning streak has weakened Verlander's case. Before they were a .500ish team without him and were only leading their division because of their record in games Verlander pitched; now they are 9 games over in games without him and would be in the playoffs even if Verlander were a .500 pitcher.

I'd still be inclined to vote for the guy. I have no bias against pitchers winning the award, and you don't see seasons as dominant as this one come along very often.

If you're in the field, defensively you might only make a few plays a game. Say you bat 5 times. You might have had an effect on the game fewer than ten times. A pitcher is more important than any single batter on a game to game basis, because they have more of an impact on the results. I think Verlander has a strong claim to the MVP. For every argument that says a pitcher only impacts 1 in 5 games, there's an argument that (should) show that on a game to game basis the pitcher is the most important player on the field.

I'm horrible at forming arguments, so if the post is confusing I apologize in advance.

So...win total means nothing in voting for Cy Young (Felix Hernandez in 2010), but it means something in voting for MVP? Nope...sorry...not buying it.

Personally...I think voting for a pitcher for MVP is stupid anyways, but that's a whole other story.

I don't care about his wins. I care about the fact that i feel Verlander is the most valuable player to his team, WAR be damned.

I do not think the Tigers are in the playoffs without him.

And I am not saying you have to be a playoff team to have the MVP but I just feel he is the most valuable. I know JBat has a very high WAR and in theory, that should make him the MVP but I think the BJs would still end up being close to the team they are without him, assuming they have some kind of 2ish WAR player playing in his place.

And there are several position players with WAR that is higher.

Ironically, I think the Tigers' recent winning streak has weakened Verlander's case. Before they were a .500ish team without him and were only leading their division because of their record in games Verlander pitched; now they are 9 games over in games without him and would be in the playoffs even if Verlander were a .500 pitcher.

I'd still be inclined to vote for the guy. I have no bias against pitchers winning the award, and you don't see seasons as dominant as this one come along very often.

I am not heavily influenced by who makes the playoffs or not in this decision, but you do make a great point for those who are.

Replace Verlander with an average SP and they should still make the playoffs, but replace Ellsbury with an average CF and there's a good chance the Sox don't make it, and they may not make it anyway.

The Tigers are far from just being all about Verlander as well. People seem to underestimate or gloss over their offense, which is 4th in baseball in runs scored. MCab and Avila are having huge years.

Then from a non-contender point of view, there's Bautista, who's having another great year.

Depending on which WAR you look at, the leader is either JBat or Ellsbury. Verlander is 2nd and tied for 6th on the two sites.

I think Verlander has a solid case, but I would not vote for him as of now.

WAR isn't absolute. So, for example, I wouldn't care if someone took Verlander (6.7 WAR) over Sabathia (6.8). But I would care if someone took Verlander over Ellsbury (8.5 WAR). And Ellsbury's team is in just as close a race as Verlander's.

I'd vote for Bautista just because he's awesome.

Archived