Which I basically agree with, minus a few nitpicks.

However, the fact that that plan was implemented terribly is perfect evidence that these pressers don't mean anything. He'll have to prove his commitment to the things he touts.

I do agree with him that with better scouting, better development staff, and a larger international commitment the basic framework of AM's plan is a good one. The question is whether Duquette can actually find, wrangle, and bring in that staff. Part of my skepticism regarding that lies in Duquette's absence from org. ball for 9 years (though I do think he's maintained some solid connections) and much of it lies in the fact that Peter Angelos is still the owner. Certain people will not leave the organization and some of them are in high-ranking positions.

I did like that Duquette basically thinks that "grow the arms, buy the bats" is too narrow in scope and that talent needs to be acquired by whatever means available. He'll just have to prove he can do that.

I agree with both SG's summary and what you say here. Andy had a decent plan, but he couldn't execute it. Dan thinks he can execute a similar plan, but do it better. It was pretty clear to me that he thinks he can improve the scouting and player development, without necessarily spending a ton more money. Well, good for him, if he can do it. He cut his teeth working with some really top executives and scouts, hopefully he knows how to find and hire the right people. We will see.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My biggest concern is DD looking at the fact that we haven't developed a single good pitcher not named Mussina or Bedard in, oh, about twenty years, figure out why that is, and FIX IT.

He made a specific reference to a "minor-league pitching coordinator". I get the feeling he has someone (don't know who) in mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but area scouts aren't full-time employees and aren't paid a ton of money. Adding to and improving the amatuer scounting staff is not a budget buster and significant gains could be made for a modest investment in resources. The same is true for international scouts. Generally, you're using residents of the country, initially, and then cross checking using scouting supervisors that may or may not be based in the US. So, I think he's right that you can improve the quality and quantity of your scouts without adding a lot of money to the overall budget.

Is it possible he's tempering expectations uncase the likes of Fielder or Reyes wont take the O's money?
No...What's possible is that he just understands what needs to be done and spending money all willy nilly isn't what needs to be done.

I think Frobby is right...He will obtain some pieces..Whether he trades Jones or not is up in the air but whether he does that or not, he will look to add some pieces that he feels will help the team get better, specifically pitching.

I think we are essentially looking at what we have seen...Try to get some low risk players(low risk meaning short term deals, etc..), get some improvement and then move forward.

Now, one thing he may be willing to do is trade some of the better prospects for some premium level guys..problem is, we don't really have much in terms of the better prospects and because of that, I am not sure I see him dealing what we have based on what his philosophies are.

No...What's possible is that he just understands what needs to be done and spending money all willy nilly isn't what needs to be done.

I think Frobby is right...He will obtain some pieces..Whether he trades Jones or not is up in the air but whether he does that or not, he will look to add some pieces that he feels will help the team get better, specifically pitching.

I think we are essentially looking at what we have seen...Try to get some low risk players(low risk meaning short term deals, etc..), get some improvement and then move forward.

Now, one thing he may be willing to do is trade some of the better prospects for some premium level guys..problem is, we don't really have much in terms of the better prospects and because of that, I am not sure I see him dealing what we have based on what his philosophies are.

Do you think he takes the major rebuild approach?

Do you think he takes the major rebuild approach?

He doesn't have to. We aren't in a position right now where we have established veterans. We don't have Bedard or Tejada. We have Guthrie and an injured Roberts.

What it looks like is if you get an offer for Jones, or Markakis, or Reynolds, or anyone really, and that package brings in great talent and good pieces, he will do it. Establish a pipeline of talent, then we can continue to have good players at the top and move players when needed like the Rays do, or any team.

He discussed the opposite of a rebuild when he discusses the Hanley Ramirez trade, for instance. You bring in talent and then you use that talent to win. Package it, trade it for more, let it play. Win.

Sorry I am just looking into it too literally with the term market...

Just suprised he used the word "market"

In other words, market size does influence payroll size, but most of that influence is only seen in the largest markets (New York, LA, Chicago). Outside of those cities, the size of the market has little to do with the size of a team's payroll

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-08-18/sports/30050998_1_market-size-payroll-yellow-line#ixzz1d8TwFkze

It all comes down to Scouting and Player Development

I am interested to see his 3 year plan.

I guess my question to people thinking there won't be any big free agent splashes because we have to "build the pipeline" and "rebuild" is why can't we do both? Build the pipeline and compete next year? Not saying it's simple, but why do we have to start trading people and start over? Now trading our good players for prospects is a faster way to improve our farm system (along with better scouting yadda yadda yadda), but I have to believe there is enough talent on this team that we can make some moves this off season and compete next year.

I think Fielder and a few upgrades in SP would go a long way for this team. Again I'm not saying this is in any way easy nor do I have some SP's in mind, but I think if you did this you would be showing the fans that you are attempting to compete now, and I don't see how you still couldn't start the rebuilding of your farm system and pipeline at the same time. Would it take longer by not trading away our players, yes, but who cares if you are competing NOW.

Jones - CF

Markakis - RF

Hardy - SS

Weiters - C

Reynolds - DH

Fielder - 1B

Guthrie - SP

2 upgrades at SP

2 of Matuz / Britton / Arietta / Tillman

I know I'm over simplifying it and haven't listed bullpen yet, but this isn't enough talent to compete? I think with what we have we shouldn't have to "start over and rebuild". I guess as I type, I realize it all comes down to Angelos and because of this I'm afraid that we will always be in this position until he is gone.

Archived