The overall budget may be fine, but I believe that PA has always been much more willing to spend on free agents than on the amateur market, including scouting and then development.

Is he willing to increase the budget for international signings? Is he willing to raise the scouting and development budgets? These are my budget concerns.

Oh ok..Yea, I agree with that.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In 2015, when we're winning with Delmonico - 1B, Schoop - 2B, Machado - SS, Esposito - 3B, Wieters/Lino - C, Hoes - LF, Glynn Davis - CF, Jones - RF, and Chris Davis - DH, and a rotation of Britton, Dylan Bundy, Arrieta, Bridwell and Klein; Erbe as closer. Duquette is going to look like a freakin' genius. :D

Love it! Wow! And premium bat free with a bevy of international talent waiting to break in to boot....and Cal as owner!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't give up Arrieta for Headley. And I doubt the other names mentioned would even get SD to listen. Maybe Reimold, but i'm not sure i'd give him up. I'd like to see Reimold as our everyday DH, and get 500+ AB.

Again, "like Headley"...

There are going to be some good OBP, desent defensive 3b avalible for what we have, IMO.

I do see your point though

The overall budget may be fine, but I believe that PA has always been much more willing to spend on free agents than on the amateur market, including scouting and then development.

Is he willing to increase the budget for international signings? Is he willing to raise the scouting and development budgets? These are my budget concerns.

I'm under the impression given his responses that the budget as a whole isn't changing much. But they are going to change how the money is being allocated.

BTW, did you notice that he specifically named the job of MiL pitching coordinator as a position that needed to be filled?

He obviously feels that there is some re-vamping that needs to be done there.

Yes...I said that in one of these threads. I think he has someone in mind.

BTW, did you notice that he specifically named the job of MiL pitching coordinator as a position that needed to be filled?

Well, maybe, but isn't that a position that is literally vacant right now? Wasn't that Alan Dunn?

That was the position that Dunn filled before he left to be a college pitching coach, correct? What role does Dave Schmidt play in the minor league system, or is he gone? He and Griffin appeared to be two player development people that didn't have their heads completely up their butts, along with Mike Bordick.

I can see Reynolds being one of the first players traded. Also probably go after a Pena. I see perhaps a pitcher also acquired in free agency and one or two in a trade. I wonder if Klentak is with the O's next year.

He specifically mentioned how there were some young bright executives already in the organization. I bet he values Klentak a great deal and keeps him around a while.

Alan Dunn was supposed to be the MiL pitching coordinator in 2011, but he left early in the season to go to LSU. The position remained vacant the rest of the year. So sure, that is a high priority.

Look... It's only a presser. But from that perspective I thought he did a nice job. Said all of the right things. As did AM. I was kind of surprised to see how much influence in his young career was shaped by the old Oriole talent evaluators. While he was figitty up there I also sensed a kind of cockiness. Like I know I can get this thing done. I loved his comment about fixing/building a teams from the ground up is what he LOVES to do. But alas it's only a presser and our track record over the past 14 years says this will be no different. But from a press conference stand point I'm kind of impressed.

Seems brilliant in his plan.

Q. "Do you agree with buy the arms, grow the bats"

A. "It doesn't matter how we get the arms and bats, we just need them and it all starts with drafting and development"

Paraphrasing.

I absolutely love this. Forget the friggin' "philosophy." We've had enough philosophizing. We need action, baby. Bring on the overpriced FA's! :D

Seems brilliant in his plan.

Q. "Do you agree with buy the arms, grow the bats"

A. "It doesn't matter how we get the arms and bats, we just need them and it all starts with drafting and development"

Paraphrasing.

Worth noting that this question came from Jen Royle. For once, she asked a good question.

Archived